Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying geometry

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1338 Views, 2 Replies

copying geometry

Hello all.

Is it possible to copy the geometry of one piece to another of the same poly/vertex/edge count ? I have four identical details in one editable poly, identical in the sense of them having the same poly/edge/vertex count between each other, but they look nothing alike, I would like to edit one of those details to my liking and copy the same detailing over to the other three.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, it's possible as long as you're not adding new polys in your detailing.

Channel Info Utilities

1. Edit or deform your object without creating new polys/vertices.

2. Open Channel Info Utility from Utilities Panel -> More.

3. Select your edited object. In Map Channel Info window, select the row that says "poly" channel under ID column. Choose "Copy" from available buttons.

4. Select your unedited object. Select the "poly" channel and choose "Paste." Your unedited mesh should look exactly like your edited object.

You can also do this for the "map" channel if you want to copy UV info from one identical object to another. Hope this helps.

Note: Your "poly" channel will read "mesh" if your object is an Editable Mesh, and "poly" if it's an Editable Poly.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: ekahennequet

Note that this doesn't work if you've reordered any of the faces. It seems like the copy and pasting will be allowed, but no visual changes occur after pasting. So, you can paste the changes you've made by editing a clone of an object, but you can't easily paste in another object with the same number of verts and faces. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report