Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
power-man
189 Views, 5 Replies

Copy and Paste

I have two scripts for copying and pasting and neither does what I need. Does anyone know how to detach elements from a large object and rename it, and put the rename element into a new layer folder inside Scene Explorer?

Thanks in advance if you know a script, or a 3DS Max function.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: power-man

'Detaching' is a basic task that you can read about in the documentation. Same for adding an object to a new layer. I'll briefly describe it but for details have a look at the official documentation. 

Basically, select the object and enter 'Element' mode. Select the part to detach (it should turn red). Click the icon next to 'Detach' and make sure both options are 'unchecked." Name it right there. Click 'OK.'  

Now click on that new object you just made and named. Then, right click in the 'Layer Explorer' and choose 'Create Layer.' A new layer will be made with that new object in it. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 6
power-man
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks, this I know, I have beennusing Max for 29 years now, I appreciate
your help, but I was hoping from that from that same detach box, that it
could offer additional options like when this element is detached that ypu
could add to existing layers or to create a new one without the additional
steps as you mentioned and that I know.

Thank you for your help. ☺️☺️☺️
Message 4 of 6
RobH2

Understood. That would have been a good way to start your post, with the added details. It's always helpful to know more then less, especially if you've been a long time user.

We get posts from people here all the time like, "Help, lights are off." That's the post. It's like saying, "Help, I can reach it." ...lol...  Reach what, where, how...etc....?

I use a thing called Copitor. I probably doesn't do what you are wanting but it is handy for moving a mesh from a scene to another scene. The new version does have some other features. Look it up at Scriptspot and see if it might be handy. https://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/copitor

I suggest you write up your ideas on improving the 'Detach' function and place a post on the 'Ideas' forum. Over the years nearly 80 of those have become implemented. If they get enough votes, or even if the Devs thinks it's a great idea, they might be able to implement it. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 6
reganprohaska12

Hey! To detach elements from a large object in 3DS Max, try using the "Detach" function. Select your object, go to "Editable Poly" or "Editable Mesh," and look for "Detach." Then, you can rename the elements and create a new layer in the Scene Explorer.

For specific scripts, check out 3DS Max forums; they usually have great resources. Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 6

Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report