Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting multiple vertices of 2 objects into nice shape - best way?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1514 Views, 4 Replies

Connecting multiple vertices of 2 objects into nice shape - best way?

Hi guys, 

https://prnt.sc/q9t8kv

This is the picture. It's trial version just for finishing the project right now, however the question is in the name of the topic. You can see edges of 2 moldings (objects) and empty space in between. I need that to "connect" to form a nice rounded edge when all joined together. I'll try with wield - target wield. Maybe bridge. 

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

https://prnt.sc/q9txyn

Wield, connect and target wield for some reason do not work. Maybe because it's editable poly. I've managed to create a polygon. But don't really know what I can do with it. 

Without having much depth in modeling and tools, I think that the easiest way would be to somehow offset vertices to meet at the halfway on the x and y osis? Then I would easily chamfer them and create a round corner. It's just that I do not know how to offset vertices to meet at the halfway. Only manually I can do that slowly, there is no such tool as I am aware of. 

Or just to align vertices by opposite objects, that would bring me chaos at the wished corner I want to create, but then I would have to manually play with vertices.

I'll try. And answer how I did it 🙂 

I was just wondering whether there is an easy way for this based on someone's experience cause it's many vertices here to work with. And to know that in the future. Cause these things are common. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Nope. I haven't been able to do it. 

What would you do as an easy-fast way to solve this? 

Sorry for the messages, just keeping an update. 

Even if I select 2 objects and apply an edit poly modifier onto them, still target wield works only on the vertices among 1 object of the selected vertex. Bridge just does not work, same. I don't know, I guess this is basic. 

I've tried manually to move vertices, but then I have problems with splitting vertices (for example I have two edges that are connected in one vertice) and break command do not help dividing, splitting... that. I still get left with two edges that are connected with one vertex that I just can't divide. 

I've tried the align above-mentioned way, but I get chaos, it's not a solution.

I don't know what's wrong with the create panel cause even that does not work when it comes to edges. 

This two objects are not connected in any way. Yes, I can make a polygon, but I've deleted it cause dunno what to do with a polygon. Maybe to create numerous polygons only... Then to hit cut button along the middle, create new lines. And chamfer them. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Well,the thing is that i would never model it like this (baseboards) in the first place. I would have used sweep with a custom cross section shape. This will even keep the whole thing parametric in case the walls are changing.

sweep.PNG

Anyway, i would extend the boards so they overlap:

Mod1.PNG

Then use Slice modifier to make the mitering:

Mod3.PNG

After that you can simply weld the vertices together, if you like.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you very much @Anonymous !

That's perfect.   

I used sweep to form the objects, but as they were architectural moldings, I didn't close the spline, but I created multiple splines and applied sweep which made it all random (when it comes to an orientation on x and y osis),

but that idea didn't occur to my mind.

Well, I was on the right track somewhat when it comes to solution 2,  but no more playing with vertices. I just resolved that by creating polygons between two objects as seen in the photo posted above. And then I had troubles to make those edges round, like a half circle as you resolved it in the picture, and chamfer somehow didn't help with that, didn't curve the line and make it round nicely, you know what I mean, or I was a noob, again, and don't know how to model in subobject section.

Thanks again, you really are helpful and an integral part of this forum.

All respect to what you do. 

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report