Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conform NURBS surface to a mesh?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
903 Views, 2 Replies

Conform NURBS surface to a mesh?

Imagine the following scenario: I import a bicycle helmet mesh into 3ds Max. I now want to warp around it a form-fitting NURBS surface. I want the NURBS plane/surface to conform to the helmet mesh, but stay a NURBS surface so I can tweak it as I wish from its CVs. I do not want to CONVERT the bicycle helmet mesh to Patch and then to NURBS, because the results are just an awful mess. Is that possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So why would you wanna do this? NURBS-modeling in 3dsmax is a dead concept. If you just want a cleaner mesh you can retopo it using the Freeform tools and the use Turbosmooth/Opensubdiv for final surface.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Because I want to be able to do this with my NURBS surface. NURBS surfaces allow you to traverse their U and V in a far more expressive manner. I write my own scripts so this was done generatively. The problem is I need the NURBS surfaces to deform according to another undulating mesh that is imported from a different piece of software. So, the question remains: Can 3ds Max deform a NURBS surface according to a different mesh object while maintaining its NURBS characteristics?Image04.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report