Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column Base - Compound Curves and Edge Detail

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
zachpeletz
528 Views, 4 Replies

Column Base - Compound Curves and Edge Detail

Looking for help / advice on how to model a column base similar to the one shown in this photo. I have precise measurements to match and am not sure how to go about creating the curvature at the top of the square section.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 7.48.38 PM.png

Additionally there will be rounded / scalloped areas carved into the 4 vertical corners of the base. I have a method for carving into the faces but unsure how to best go about carving into the edges.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Message 3 of 5

For the base you could start with a box, put the dimensions in the modify panel.  Then put 2 segments to the length and width.  Put a edit poly modifier, select the 4 top corner vertex, move down, then use connect tool to add segments to the extremes, finally put a turbosmooth with 3 iterations.

b.png

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

The TurboSmooth method seems great. I'll give that a try.

Any thoughts on how to carve out areas of the edges (see attached photo). Note that the edge detail doesn't "sweep" around the entire column base - it is just carved into the edges of each face (a la scalloping). The details on the faces are something I already have a method for - it's just the edges I'm not sure how to approach.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 2.28.35 PM.png

Message 5 of 5

Put in front or left view, add more loops with the connect tool.  Then move the vertexs as you need to define the profile.   If you need hard border add more loops with small separation between them.  

Sin título.png

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report