Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant apply multi/Sub-object material

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1743 Views, 1 Reply

Cant apply multi/Sub-object material

I'm having a very bad situation with the deadline approaching and can't solve a situation.

I have tried to apply a material to doors and windows. Since all of them belong to the same object as the wall, I use Multi/Sub-Object material, applying it using Mesh Select and Material modifiers exactly as it is described in the 3ds Max manual online https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMa.... Yet something that I can't figure what it is, is wrong. If I apply glass sub-material to the window polygons and matte paint sub-material to the door polygons after, the door polygons render with paint, but the glass on the windows is gone. I have tried to apply two different Material modifiers with sub-material 1 and sub-material-2, no improvement. Once I go out of sub-levels, the whole object renders in the last (matte paint) sub-material that has only been applied to a few faces. It could be explained with that the Material modifier holding that sub-material is the highest in the modifier stack. Yet, I have done everything the way it is in the manual. Any advice? What can I do? 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

I do this type of modelling frequently without using mesh select or material modifier.  I just store the material id number for each polygon within the edit poly modifier, and simply apply the material.  (Assumes there are uv assignments, if not, create them).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report