Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't bridge borders or use target weld

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
13159 Views, 6 Replies

Can't bridge borders or use target weld

I'm trying to connect two borders on the same object (picture 1), but bridging doesn't seam to work, as you can see in picture 2 it only makes some horizontal polygons.

If I choose 2 edges on the borders and try to bridge them, picture 3 is the result. Does anyone know what the problem is?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Will be difficult to give a definitive answer without the actual model to look at, but...
Edges can only be Bridged if those Edges only have a single poly attached to them. If an edge has a poly on both sides it cannot be bridged. similarly for Vertices, though in that case it depends on the Edges connecting the vertices in question. Could also be that 1 of the 2 edges you're trying to Bridge is Flipped (reversed Normal) - that will also prevent Bridging from working as expected.

Check carefully that ALL the edges you want to Bridge have only one poly connected to them and that none of the associated polys are Flipped. If in doubt, save the scene (containing just that 1 object) zip it and attach it to a reply so we can take a look.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thank you! that was the problem. I flipped the polygons and the edges were bridged perfectly.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi good sirs,

I also have the same problem but i don't know if i flipped it or not. i'm a beginner in this field.
i'm using 3ds Max 2013, and i am making a gloves, i already welded the part of the thumb and as i tried to target weld the other parts, it does not work.

my professor suggested to restart my computer, so i did. but when i continued again, it's still not working.

So i am wonder why and how can i fix it? i'm hoping that ill get help cause this is part of my project sir.

thank you good sirs. 

Message 5 of 7
miledrizk

Hi,

1- Go to Polygon sub-object level

2- Select the fingers polygons

3- Click Filp in the Edit Polygons rollout

4- Try Target Weld Again

1.PNG

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: miledrizk

THANKS A lot i was figuring the same problem, but what is flip? why it works with flip? what is used for?

Message 7 of 7
Cory-Dubeau

Hi there! If I may chime in for a moment; every face that comprises a form has two sides: it's "Front Face" and "Back Face".  Polygon faces, by nature aren't two-sided, so keeping in mind their facings is important when fusing verticies or bridging faces.

You will see this behaviour much more clearly when using the "Quick Align>Normal" tool as well; when you select the "Align to" geometry, you'll see a small blue arrow indicating it's resultant vector or angle (think of a ball bouncing straight back from the ground) which tells the selected geometry which way to point since (in 3d space) there wouldn't be any other way to instruct the two faces to join.

Two sided faces can also aid materials as well. I believe 3ds's bundled "2-Sided / Front-Back Material" can show you separate maps based on the face orientation which can be useful when sectioning geometry or for neat effects.

If just the bright and dark red faces aren't good for troubleshooting, try using xView (It's a life-saver for me!). If you go to: "View>xView>Face Orientation", it will highlight all reversed faces much more clearly even during edits which will help you clean up your geometry for sure-fire welds, good luck! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report