Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightness proportional object thickness

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
352 Views, 3 Replies

Brightness proportional object thickness

I need to obtain an image of a 3D object with brightness proportional to its thickness along the direction orthogonal to the sheet.

I attach an example in which I obtain artificially what I need.

Can I use some material to obtain it?

Thanks,

Mario

fig 1.jpgfig 2.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

hi scudmario you want to similar results in 3ds max ? i think this is possible with using material shader can you tell what is purpose of this so i can understand it better.

thanks

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

dear don_3259,

I will try to explain better what I mean.

In what follows I’m refer to the coordinate system indicated on attached figure (fig 3).

In general an image of a 3D object is a projection along z coordinate. For each point (x,y) we have a different level of gray (or colour) and this gives the rapresentation of the 3d object.

On the left image three different color (gray level) are associated to the three faces (A,B and C), this depending on the orientation of the faces in respect to the light source.

On the right image (the image I’m interested on) to each p(x,y) point it is associated a grey level that depends on the object thickness along z. For example along the point p1(x1,y1) the object is thicker than along p2(x2,y2) and for this reason in p1 is brighter than p2. If we move on the edge the object is very thin and the points became darker (for example p3)

The 3ds material I'm looking for is like a x-ray but it doesn't give the results I need.

Thanks,

mario

fig a.jpg

Message 4 of 4
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

dear friend as i think its not possible you need max scripting for this to get that results...thanks

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report