Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean: Subtract Working for some Elements but not for Others

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
587 Views, 4 Replies

Boolean: Subtract Working for some Elements but not for Others

Hello, I'm having some problems with Boolean.

I am trying to cut openings from my model in the layer 'Rigid_Bamboo_Trial' and I have used both Boolean and ProBoolean.

B_1.JPG

I managed to cut some openings, but these two have been the only successful ones.

B_2.JPG

If I tried to subtract any other element, the main body disappears.

B_3.JPG

I have also tried converting the previous successful Boolean into an Editable Poly before attempting another Boolean but to no avail.

Could someone please help me to point out my mistake?

3DS Model 

Thank you for your time!

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

Your file has an excessive amount of detail.  The model is essentially a dozen or so boxes but looking at the face count (File, Summary Info ,...) it shows 1.5 million faces!  The high face count is due to the model including the inside and outside of the bamboo tubes.  Much of this detail is not visible to the viewer. 

Think about how you could simplify the modeling of the tubes.  Is a cutaway of the bottom back and top tubes ever shown?  If not, model only the exterior surface as a wavy line or perhaps a flat surface and use a texture and bump map to give the bamboo appearance.

image.png

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 5
RobinBall6995

Booleans might not be the best way to go about this. Maybe try slice planes instead. They're much more likely to work with this amount of separate elements. Most of the windows are at the same height, so a couple of planes will give you the tops and bottoms all at once. You can either do it at the editable poly level, or with modifiers if you want to keep it editable. Then you should be able to simply delete the bits where the windows and doorways go.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

@leeminardi Thank you for your analysis on my model! I should've tried a better method to model the building to limit the number of faces it has 😅 I did a more rudimentary way of building the walls to solve this by using simple cylinders instead 😂 Thank you again for your help!

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

@RobinBall6995 Thank you for your suggestion on slice planes, maybe I will try this out as well and hopefully get a better model as well 😊 Thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report