Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black shadows on attached objects

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4031 Views, 5 Replies

Black shadows on attached objects

Hello!

I want to combine some meshes together, into one mesh. But when i try to attach them together, some really weird black shadows appears. 
I tried to fix this with smoothing groups but it didn't change anything.

YqNMrTU

Q9S6JLa

rbkaSNq

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the normals of the element you attached. Sometimes the new part gets flipped.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

There are some normals that i cant flip, they remain black.. 😞

Here is my file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl48pueqfoyjgu1/Normal.FBX?dl=0
AEc4nXs

Message 4 of 6
blakestone

There were a lot of problems with this model - random faces being flipped, floating faces, weird smoothing groups etc...
These types of issues are generally caused by scripts as a modeller wont go out of their way to flip random faces on their model and detach faces etc.

Whatever script(s) you're using I highly recommend stopping as they are doing damage to your model. 

I have fixed the model and have attached the MAX file (requires 3dsMax 2012 or higher to open).

How I fixed it was enabling "Backface Cull" (Right-Click > Object Properties) which stops 3dsMax from rendering both sides of the objects faces. This allows you to quickly identify which faces are incorrect. Then you can select these faces and flip them in the Editable Mesh or Editable Poly rollout.

Hope this helps.

example.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

Awesome! Thank you for your time.

But if i enable the culling, i can't select the vrong faces, because i can't see them.

This is one of my friends model, i don't know what scripts were used on this model.

Message 6 of 6
blakestone

As long as you don't have ticked "Ignore Backfacing" then you can select faces if they're flipped as shown below.

example.jpg

Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report