Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Beginner Issue]Vertices Refuse to Connect

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
537 Views, 3 Replies

[Beginner Issue]Vertices Refuse to Connect

Hello,

A bit of an odd post since I am actually posting on behalf of someone who is facing this problem so I apologise in advance if I am lacking important details or am unfamiliar with relevant terminology since I am not a user myself.

My friend is working on a project and has run into a number of issues along the way which prompted her to rethink her approach but this one is really boggling her, though I understand its a relatively common issue for beginners to encounter. Basically, she managed to get so far with the main body of the craft she is designing before some vertices refused to weld together for her. The attached screenshot has the segments/polys in question that are causing her issues marked in red and I believe it would weld just fine on one side but not the other. I offered to make this post for her in the hopes of catching a helpful reply or two by the time she gets back so if there is anything else you need to know, I'll be sure to ask!

The program is the 2017 edition and she asked me to mention that "it has been converted to an editable poly" and that she tried "weld, connect, cut" and everything else really, but they simply refuse to cooperate.

I asked her to send me the save file too before she had to run so I hope the one attached is of any use!

Thanks for your time ~

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
miledrizk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I would like to help but i'm using max 2015,

Try to save the file as 2015 and i will look at it,

One reason why the vertices wont weld is the threshold amount, you need to increase it if it's value is smaller than the distance between the

vertices intended for welding.

But other reasons can exist, so better checking the file and not guessing

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Within editablePoly you can`t weld geometry that would create non-manifold geometry. That is three or more polygons sharing a single edge,basically forming a T-shape. In your case you will have to delete the interior polygons so that the vertices you are trying to weld are located at an open edge.

Delete these polygons:

delete.JPG

Then weld:

weld.JPG

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you so much for your help! That was really generous of you and my friend appreciates it a lot.

(And thank you too, Mile, for your input too!)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report