Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming Freelancer with Autodesk - How to?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2456 Views, 7 Replies

Becoming Freelancer with Autodesk - How to?

Hi guys,

I am student and currently using Autodesk for educational purposes only (student license).

I became good enough to start working in the industry (architecture, gaming, doesn´t matter) so my wish is to become freelancer and this way get my first jobs done.

To all the pros with experience as freelancer.

• How did you do it?
  • What are the best platforms to apply for jobs?
  • And especially: Does autodesk offer any solution where you have to pay less or nothing in the first time as freelancer for the software since especially in the beginning there is no guarantee that you will get any jobs or enough to pay the software?

Thanks to everyone,

Marcus

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Freelancing takes more than just operating the software.  You are running a business, usually as a contractor, which requires a lot of other knowledge (e.g. do you know the ramifications of working with a client in another country?).  You also need a good understanding of the industry and how things actually run (which can be significantly different from what you were taught).

So I'd recommend against this right out of school.  Get a regular job in the industry first, build your reputation and contacts before striking out on your own. 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
ads_czechoj

Hi Marcus,

We are aware of the problem and we are trying to resolve it. Many students would like to start working as a freelancers but they are not sure how much and when they will be paid for the first projects. We did try to resolve it partially by offering monthly or annual subscription. In the past the startup investment was really big, in the range of  thousands of dollars paid up-front. Right now we are allowing our users to choose the right subscription for them and pay much less on monthly bases.

We have also special discounts for the first time new subscribers.

Please let us know what do you thing about this option. Is this something which would help you at the startup time?

The link below will lead you to the subscription page where you can learn about our 2019 April discount for a new subscription:
https://www.autodesk.ca/en/products/3ds-max/subscribe?plc=3DSMAX&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quanti...

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Hey dgorsman,

thanks for the reply. Luckely I know how to run a small business and yeah you are right, it´s always different then you expect, but I got the time and I can communicate to my clients that things might need a little bit longer or that I can redo work if it´s not like expected from their side.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ads_czechoj

Hey Jan,

thanks for the reply! Sadly the current subscriptions are to expensive and risky for my situation, but the prices in general are really ok. So I guess I have to get a job first and save some money for an annual subscription or look/wait for some bigger projects where it´s a good deal to get the monthly sub.

But (!) it would be great if you could answer me if I am (with my student license)...

• allowed to upload completely self-made or just edited 3D models/content online
  • or send this content to specific people/companies

... for free?

I would love to ask people in forums for 3D models that I can create or edit for free or to offer some great artists my help in order to get some valueable feedback. But I don´t know if I am allowed to do this and if yes under what conditions would they be allowed to use those models/content?

Again: For me just for practice and feedback purpose and all for free.

Thanks Marcus

Message 6 of 8
dgorsman

You can't do anything commercial with stuff that's been touched by the EDU license.  I'd recommend putting all of that in a quarantined location so it doesn't accidentally get re-used where it shouldn't. It's generally considered OK to use it for a personal portfolio, using it for selling/advertising is against the license agreement but semi-ignored if not abused i.e. replace it with commercially generated content when you get the proper license. 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 8
ads_czechoj

You said at the beginning: "I am student and currently using Autodesk for educational purposes only (student license)"

and you are asking if you could upload models on line or share them for feedback reason.

There are few things you should know as a freelancer artist: 

1. Nobody paid for your education but you. Now is the time to share your talent and knowledge and be paid for it.
  2. As a student you can use your educational version software to build your portfolio and publish your portfolio anywhere you want but not as a 3D models or animated 3D models. 
  3. How to share your portfolio using 3ds Max Educational Version?

To build your portfolio and post it anywhere (e.g.: your portfolio Facebook page) you can

• Render images of your 3D models
  • Render movie of your animation
  • Render a "turntable" of you 3D model
  • You can use the "Share View" option which allows the viewer to interact/examine with your model.
  • I think it is a great way to show your potential employer the portfolio.
  • The next step (as a freelancer) would be to provide a price-list and ask for a contract. Any art related contract should be paid at least in two steps: down payment and final pay on its delivery.
  • You should be able to pay your first month of subscription after getting a down payment.
  • If you think it is impossible, try to visit an optometrist to buy a new pare of glasses. Well, they will ask you to pay minimum of 50% of the final price. Many clients think that the artist can work for free, or when they advertising themselves on Kijiji. They are wrong. One of my students (the 3D Game Design program at the Art Institute of Toronto) started as a freelancer illustrator, and after few years he moved from Toronto to LA, bought a house and still works only as a 2D or 3D artist-freelancer.
  • Don't be discourage and never work without signed contracts.
  • Attached: video with steps on how to use a Share View in 3ds max. Good Luck!
  • Share your success story with us anytime!
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ads_czechoj

Wow, thats quite a lot of great information.

Thanks to both of you Jan and David for your answers. Really helpful and valueable info.

Marcus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report