Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad boolean cleanup

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
trinitifx
425 Views, 4 Replies

Bad boolean cleanup

I purchased an OBJ model from turbosquid, and none of the booleans came in clean at all.

Is there an easy way to clean this up?

Did I import wrong?

Should I just re-make the parts that have booleans?

😞

-Matthew
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: trinitifx

Before I started remodeling anything, I'd select all my vertices and weld them. This may help.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Another solution I believe would to be to use triangulate the piece.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Another solution I believe would to be to use triangulate the piece.

Sorry to jump in, but can you expound on that?

Kevin
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Sorry that was a bit vague. Now I'm not 100 percent certain that you have the same problem that I had but I used to have to export models out of Maya to X3D for work. When I opened the exported models inside of the X3D player I used to have the same problems shown in your image. It took me a while to figure out that I was performing a boolean operation on an object and then not re optimizing the model. Basically when you perform a boolean operation you are creating a new set of vertices on the model that don't actually connect to any of the original vertices thus drawing overlapping faces. One option is to select the face where the problem lies. There should be a single face selector. Then locate Triangulate in the Polygon menu set and you should now notice that the over lapping is gone. If it doesn't go you should now be able to select the overlapping faces and delete them.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report