Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Selecting Backfacing Polys?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
derek.mallard
3347 Views, 6 Replies

Automatically Selecting Backfacing Polys?

I have manually selected backfacing polys on character models countless times and it takes me a few hours or days including taking breaks and depending on how many models I decide to do.

I have 3DS Max 2016 and I seriously need a way to automatically select backfacing polys to save myself from aging rapidly. xView, UVW Unwrap, and STL checks doesn't help.

I would really appreciate any help!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

check this, it might help...not selecting the backface, but reversing it instead. all in one click
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/unify-flip-normal-polygons

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 7

Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I'm very sorry, I forgot to mention in the main post that I need to actually delete the backfacing polys.

The models that I'm working on are for game modding purposes. I need to delete the polys to lower the poly count without having to use the pro optimizer.

Message 4 of 7
blakestone
in reply to: derek.mallard

Depending on how your model has been unwrapped you may be able to select all the interior sections via the Unwrap UVW modifier. The below steps are how to keep your selection from the Unwrap UVW to the Editable Poly.

1. Add a Unwrap UVW modifier
2. In Face mode select all the Interior Faces
3. With these Faces still selected collapse your Unwrap UVW modifier back to an Editable Poly
4. Switch to Face mode in Editable Poly and those faces should still be selected.

example.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 7
derek.mallard
in reply to: blakestone

See, that's the thing. I just said the Unwrap UVW does not help in this case, the UV's are overlapping each other.  If I do any method (like xView just as I said) of trying to select backfacing/interior polys, it will end up selecting the frontfacing polys as well.

Here's what I'm working with

The dark polys are what I need to delete, there are also a whol lot more of them under the light shaded polys.

I'm basically trying to see if there's another method of selecting those dark polys without also selecting the light shaded polys.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Message 6 of 7
blakestone
in reply to: derek.mallard

What is the distance of the back-facing faces to the front-facing faces, is it very minimal like around the 0.01 mark?

Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
Message 7 of 7
derek.mallard
in reply to: blakestone

Probably but hard to say, it's like I triple click one face, it turns dark and I used to have to do that all over the body of models like this one...and you can also see some of the dark faces that are overlapping the light ones.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report