Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Color Maps for Substance Painter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
6432 Views, 4 Replies

Assigning Color Maps for Substance Painter

2-28-2020 10-50-30 AM.pngpatreon_logo_black.png

As you can see in the images above, I was working in 3DS Max, trying to assign color ID maps to my model and exported them as a .png to be applied on the .fbx model inside Substance Painter. I am trying to figure out a way to apply a mask with color selection, so that I can apply Substance materials individually to each of the two colored parts. In 3DS Max, I assigned the red and blue color for each element, exported the model as an .fbx along with the assigned color map as a .png

Or-Texture.png

This is what the color map looks like^

Attached is the 3DS Max file.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Not sure why you are using a shell material just to create a color id map for substance painter.  But I think there is a better workflow.  The colors do not have to be as dramatically different as suggested in some video tutorials I have seen.  You also do not have to do any baking in max with this workflow.

For your color ID map in max, I would suggest that  you apply a multi-subobject material  with 2 sub-materials in this case and make the diffuse colors different.    Then export that as an .fbx and name it,  "Orb_color_ID.fbx"   

For your initial creation of a new project in Substance painter you need also to export a version of your mesh with a single standard material applied.  Export it as an .fbx and name it Orb.fbx.  Note:  Substance Painter will name the texture set with the name of the material you gave it in max and you only want a single material applied to the mesh when you first create a new project in Substance painter so that only 1 texture set will be created. 

In Substance painter, when you first create the New project select the Orb.fbx mesh.   Bake all textures EXCEPT the ID map.  When that completes, open the Bake Mesh Maps Dialogue again and uncheck all the maps currently selected and now check ID.  Now load orb_color ID.fbx in the "High Definition Meshes area: (don't worry that it is not high definiton).   

Substance Painter Load Color ID_fbx.png

Now that you have loaded the ORB_color_ID.fbx, scroll down to set the color source as "Material Color".

Substance Painter Color ID.png

Click the Bake button and Substance Painter will create your color ID map. 

To use color selection for any layer in Substance Painter right click on the layer and select "Add mask with color selection" and you are ready to go.     Hope this is helps you out. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thank you for your answer for baking the textures; this solved the dilemma of getting the color Id wrapped around my object completely. And, I actually did the multi-subobject option you suggested for the 3DS Max file. I think my biggest problem at the moment now is trying to figure out how to have more than one ID map here because, as you can see in the screenshot, I have two colors assigned for this model in 3DS Max: the red and the blue. For some reason when baking the texture file in Substance, I am only getting one color ID map and it's the red one. I'm not sure how to get the blue one.

3-1-2020 8-21-39 PM.png

3-1-2020 8-23-03 PM.png

as you can see, only one ID map after the bake: the red one^

Message 4 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

" For some reason when baking the texture file in Substance, I am only getting one color ID map and it's the red one. I'm not sure how to get the blue one."

If you assigned the multi-subObject material in max with 2 submaterials (Red and blue) to your mesh and then exported the mesh in that state to an .fbx file (orb_color_ID) and then followed all the steps I posted in importing that orb_color_ID.fbx  and baking the ID map.

Substance Painter Load Color ID_fbx.png

and making sure to set Color Source  to "Material color ',

Substance Painter Color ID.png

then both color IDs should be available in Substance Painter when you click on "Pick Color"

Substance Painter Pick Color.png 

What version of Substance Painter are you using?   Please post t a screenshot of when you have clicked on "Pick Color" to see what shows up on the mesh.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Hello anybody solved this issue? I have the same problem, Painter version is 2021.1.1 build 959, exporting FBX 2013-2018 versions tested binary and ascii, using sub-materials. Baking just red color id, marmoset is baking perfectly. Any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report