Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Stupid question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
520 Views, 3 Replies

A Stupid question

I am sure this has been answered many times but I have to ask because I cant find an answer. I cant get the flat surfaces corrected when doing a poly edit. See the attached file to see what I mean. The highlighted sections are the problem.

Note I have already tried the disable the triangle thing in the video driver prefs.

Thanks for the help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Even though you're working with quads, everything in max is really a triangle. So if you look at the corner squares, imagine that they're broken up into two triangles. On the two corner squares that look right, the triangle splits the square along the line between the outermost vertex (the corner) and the corner bordering on the quad you've lifted. On the two corners that don't work, the triangle splits the square 90 deg. off that line so only the inner triangle is effected.

So, convert to an editable poly (in general, you're better off working with polys) and go to the edit polygon rollout and click on edit triangulation. Now you can draw a line from the inner vertex to the corner on the two bad quads and everything should look good.

If you're going to apply a mesh smooth (or use the subdiv surface built into edit poly) you don't need to do this as it will happen automatically.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you for the fast reply.
Message 4 of 4
ekahennequet

You can also use "Turn" either in Editable Mesh or Editable Poly in Edge mode to edit triangulation.

I would also suggest that you turn on Edged Faces (F4) in your Perspective view. This way you can see what you're doing in shaded view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report