Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2018 cant modify model, as if its frozen

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1029 Views, 6 Replies

3DS Max 2018 cant modify model, as if its frozen

Hello =)!

I have a problem. I made new model and saved it[Save As...]. Now, When I open[Open...] it to make a some changes, I can`t do anything, as if the object is frozen, but it is possible to select the vertices or edges of the object, as well as its polygons (You can select them, but You can`t do anything with them) - extrude, move, scale, rotate - all these functions is frozen. The last time I saved the model as usually - [Save As...].

3Ds Max - 2018.4

How to fix it?

@Anonymous

Your post subject line has been edited by @hagen.deloss : As if the object is frozen - Ican`t modify the form of the model

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for posting your question, lets try to figure this issue out together! I have encountered this multiple times, with various causes.

So to get the basic possible causes out of the way, can you hit the spacebar and start moving the object again? (spacebar turns on the "selection lock toggle" found on the bottom ribbon below the timeline.Screenshot (13)_LI.jpg

Since you can still select parts of the polygon object, its obviously not frozen....so lets explore some less common causes for the issue.

I went searching around and ran across this thread, the last post may be helpful. They suggest going to your motion tab and seeing if there are any constraints applied to your object! That can be found under command panel>motion>parameters and check the XYZ parameters

Screenshot (14)_LI.jpg

If none of the above helps, feel free to attach your scene file and I can take a look! 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 7
hagen.deloss

Hello @Anonymous 

I wanted to check back and see if my earlier post helped you with your problem. It would be super helpful if you could add a post with how you decide to proceed, and your results. That way other Community members can benefit from your process

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if the post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I created an animation(*.gif), I hope it helps in the solution =). Thank You, for answ. =)!

GIF-Animation - 960x540\366Mb

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zQ4Cnu29v0XaK0JbbXIUCYlEyHtYNFwx

Message 5 of 7
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous,

That sounds super frustrating! There is a possibility you have set your default controller to a different mode. To check you can navigate from the command panel to the motion tab, and click parameters (with your object selected).

Screenshot (19)_LI.jpg

If it doesn't display xyz movement scale or rotation, then you will need to restore it to its default settings.

Screenshot (18)_LI.jpg

If that still doesnt work, we can take that a step farther, and reset 3DS Max's settings overall, here is an article documenting how to do that.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

You just saved my model -<...restore it to its default settings...> - working =)! Thumbs UP and Thank You =), Have a Nice Day!

Message 7 of 7
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous,

So happy I could help! I'm sure this will happen to me down the road so extra bonus that we found out the solution together.

It would be awesome if you could mark my solution so that others in the community can benefit from the knowledge!

Kind regards,

Hagen Deloss

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report