Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 3dsmax Whas has happened to the sweep tool??!!

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
kevinmGFYPQ
649 Views, 1 Reply

2020 3dsmax Whas has happened to the sweep tool??!!

For as much as I defend max as a good tool for doing the modelling I do in archviz, it sure does make it hard when some of these functions are so difficult to do when compared to other software like sketchup. 

Can someone please explain to me what is happening with the sweep tool?  It should be so straight forward and I have used it without issue in past versions of max.  I create a line path, create a spline shape to use as the sweep profile but I cant get the shape to sweep correctly.  It is rotating and "flattening" the profile.  I tried the loft as well and I have the same issue.  I have no way to rotate the profile shape to correct the problem.  If I create a simple square shape, it works fine. 

This has happened with another shape I had create to sweep a mansard roof shape in this project.  I extracted a shape profile from another mansard roof to use as the sweep profile and the sweep result was a sorts of messed up.  When I redrew the profile using the line tool, it swept fine.  In this current case, the profile was again drawn using lines but regardless, the resulting sweep does not work.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
kevinmGFYPQ
in reply to: kevinmGFYPQ

I was finally able to get this to work in using loft but such gymnastic to get to such a simple result.  Essentially, after assigning the loft, I had to select certain functions in the properties of the shape (constant cross section and contour/ banking) and then I had to select the actual spline of the shape profile, and find the best way to rotate this in order to get to the result I wanted.  I could not get the sweep command to work and bank correctly around a 90 degree corner.  The result sweep shape in general was correct but it was co-planar and I could not see where this could be corrected in a way such as with loft using the constant cross section. 

It should not be this difficult to so a sweep or loft command in max but moving on

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report