Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Viewport] Back Face Wireframe fade/dim effect for better readability at Object level (Houdini/Modo Wireframe Ghost alike)

[Viewport] Back Face Wireframe fade/dim effect for better readability at Object level (Houdini/Modo Wireframe Ghost alike)

It seems this display style is only available as a modeling aid at the SubObject level within Edit/Editable Poly. By all means, it should be made available at Object level as well and should be exposed as an option within Viewport Settings.

Houdini has this from Houdini 14 and Blender from Blender 2.8. Modo also supports that. It doesn't only make the viewport more aesthetically pleasing and wireframes easier on the eye but it also makes the complex models shapes more distinguishable and exponentially improves the selections. On the most basic level, it seems it fades out the wires on the back of the model. Blender seems to add something extra to the mix that thickens the general contours of the model so if the Max team could come up with something similar it would already make Max viewport grow young again.

Houdini (zoom the image pls)

Houdini Wireframe Ghost mode.png

Blender (zoom the image pls)

Blender Xray wireframe 02.pngBlender Xray wireframe 04.png

Modo

Modo 3d_viewport_ghostmode 01.pngModo 3d_viewport_ghostmode 02.png

11 Comments

Modo also supports that.

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

It already kind of does this.But you have to be in one of subobject-modes of editable geometry to see it.

-

Anonymous
Not applicable

In 3dsmax 2018.4:

1) Create a teapot. 

2) Convert to editablePoly

3) Switch to wireframe display.

4) Enter a subobject-mode

The backfacing lines and vertex ticks should display darker.

**** thats nice but the wireframes keep reverting to full white if you get out of subobject mode

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideed. That`s why i told you it`s currently limited to a modeling aid.

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Swordslayer
Advisor

If you want it, you can set the 'DarkerEdge' option to #Always, otherwise it's only active when in subobject mode:

NitrousGraphicsManager.DarkerEdgeOption = #Always

darkerEdge.png

Available since 2017.

can you provide some screenshots ? don't know exactly  what darker back edges would look like. But anyways this would add to the general viewport controls accessibility featured on the roadmap.

Swordslayer
Advisor

Looks pretty much the same as your houdini screenshot. Could be made accessible from the UI, I agree.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

Is there a way to convert an .3DS file to OBJ without missing the textures?

I've recently downloaded a free model online but I'm a Mac user (MAX isn't available for Mac) and I can't open it properly, tried converting it online to another formats (I have Blender and Cinema 4D) but they always mess up with textures and I end up getting a just gray model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report