Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertex Soft Selection Pivot

Vertex Soft Selection Pivot

If you select an edge and go into soft selection mode, your pivot point stays on the edge, BUT if you select a vertex and go into soft selection mode, the pivot point moves to the center of the soft selection volume. I would prefer the pivot stay on the selected vertex, both for precision and for consistency.

10 Comments
michael_spaw
Autodesk

Will chat with gang but it sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking it into consideration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to try and breath a little life into this request, I wanted to attach an image of the problem. When using soft selection, most sub-object modes center the pivot on the selection. Vertex mode is the only sub-object mode that moves the pivot to the center of the soft selection zone. This behavior in vertex mode is inconsistent and a little frustrating form a UX point of view.

softSelect.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys has this been resolved? It needs to be resolved like two years ago. I have just been living with it and finding workarounds if I can. I've been using MAX since 1995 and (unless I'm crazy) up until that last few years when you turned on soft selection the pivot did not jump to the middle of the soft select volume. Someone broke this somewhere along the way. The pivot used to stay right on top of the selected verts. Why would you want it any other way?Especially for rotating a volume of vertices. What this forces me to do it make my soft selection and put an FFD modifier on top so I can control the pivot but this is a serious hack. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please don't save this as "Future Consideration" like you did in 2017 which is the date of the response above. Please fix it tomorrow. A proficient programmwer should be able to do this on his/her lunch break. I'm sorry if that's not very respectful but I don't want this to die in these comments. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm running MAX 2017 at work. I'll check my home version of MAX 2019 to see if it functions the same way. I should have considered and checked that first. TBD

mg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh man, this one has been frustrating me for YEARS.  No idea why it ever changed to the new way since I've never ONCE thought to myself "Hey, this is what I want right now!".   The old method where it centered on the hard/red selection only was far superior and 100x more useful in the vast majority of situations.  

teratron
Advocate

Any movement on this? Very frustrating. It behaves like it's set to use selection center instead of use pivot center.

max4LEJH
Observer

Just googled this and surprised not to see this fixed yet! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report