Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UI] - Rethink command panel

[UI] - Rethink command panel

Perhaps it is time to rethink the command panel UI, to streamline it's intended use-cases.
I propose to divide the command panel in two or more seperate panels, where there is a button with an icon for each of the individual panels. The new panels should only take up one pane each so that all its contents are in view and to avoid scrolling through them.

Reasons to rethink the current UI:

1. To reduce mouse clicks (open and close roll-outs vs panel tabs)
  2. All buttons/ settings reside in the exact same location, which aids muscle memory (and do not jump around based on whether you are in vertex/edge/face/element mode and which roll-outs are opened and closed).
  3. Hopefully, no more scrolling to look for a function, instead just one click to activate (and a second to open the correct tab, which could also be a keyboard shortcut).
  4. To reduce  UI real-estate with two or three open panes reduced to one.
  5. Most of the (modelling) commands can be mapped to keyboard shortcuts, thereby making (some of) the command buttons redundant.
  6. A, for new users, less daunting interface, with reduced obscurity of functions.
3 Comments

you mean the Modify tab of it ?

Intuos5
Advisor

Most of the ideas apply to the modify panel indeed. However, you could also decide to readdress other areas of the command panel to reduce nested tabs. For instance, depending on the selection, moving the mouse to the command panel could automatically open certain panels. Perhaps the command panel should be splitable between create/ edit, these are things you'll discover as this is discussed in development, I suppose.

maybe find some time and patience to add some images of the concept. What do you mean by "in development"

these are things you'll discover as this is discussed in development, I suppose

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report