Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subobject Preselection Highlight

Subobject Preselection Highlight

I think that adding preselection highlight for subobject elements will be very helpful. This way you will know which vertex/edge/polygon you'll select when your cursor hovers over them. There's already preselection highlight for objects in Max introduced a couple of releases ago and it proved very useful when picking stuff in the scene. Adding this feature for subobject elements too will be equally as useful.

A lot of 3d software already have this feature - Maya, Houdini, Cinema 4D, Modo, etc. It seems that only Max and a couple of others are still behind in this regard.

Here's an example of how it might look or work:

7 Comments
Swordslayer
Advisor

If you miss it, you can turn it on, either for the active subobject only or multi-subobject selection preview:

selectionHighlight.png

office
Collaborator

Thanks for the suggestion but I already know about this option and that's not the same as what I'm asking for for a couple of reasons:

1. You have to turn this option on for every new object you create in the scene. Very tedious and counterproductive!

2. If you hold down SHIFT, Max adds to the selection everything that was under the cursor while you were holding down SHIFT. Why? I don't want this behavior, it messes up my selection. If I want to select things this way, I will just use the "Paint Selection Region" selection mode.

So as you can see, this option is not really useful for the majority of users and I've never actually seen anyone use it because of the points I mentioned above. We need GLOBAL option for preselection highlight, not on per object basis. Imagine if we had to turn on object preselection highlight on each new object we created instead of the current implementation where it's a global option in Preferences. How dumb and tedious would that be?

Swordslayer
Advisor

1. put this in your startup scripts folder and it will apply to any new editable poly you create:

ePolyPreviewOverride = NodeEventCallback mouseUp:on modelStructured:(fn _ e ids = for id in ids where isKindOf (local node = GetAnimByHandle id) Editable_Poly do node.selectMode = 1)

that said, having an UI-based way to configure object defaults like this (but not limited to just this) would be indeed nice.

2. Shift is hardcoded as Point to Point selection, Ctrl/Alt are for adding/removing from selection - if that's in conflict with say maya navigation mode, log that as bug; for me, it works as designed

office
Collaborator

Sorry, I meant CTRL, not SHIFT. Is there a way to make holding CTRL not add to the selection when hovering the cursor over the elements?

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

just fixed it already, also the entire edit poly needs a rework

does the Shift path selection even works with Preview Selection?

Isn't Multi Preview Selection bugged?

And Yes, ofc we need a global not per object Preview

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report