Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straighten UV Shells

Straighten UV Shells

Hello, 

I would like to be able to straighten out UV shells without destroying the already flatten out UV. 

For example, I use the quick peel mode a lot to layout my UV's, and I like the overall result from the quick peel. It does a good job of unwrapping my objects; however, it almost always leaves the shell skewed and rotated at a weird angle. See attached image called Peel. If I hit the straighten selection button it tries to calculate everything again and I get an awful result, see image called Straighten. All I want is for the overall shell to straighten, not the UVs inside the shell. So right now, I have to manually rotate them all so I can get the desired effect. See image called Desired_Results. Usually, I don't mind as much if they are rotated, but when I need to texture brick or anything with a pattern, I need them to be as straight as possible. 

I don't think there is anything like this at the movement, but it would be really beneficial to my workflow to have something that makes this process faster and easier. I know Unfold 3D has this per Island packing that allows you to straighten the shells without distorting the layout. Is there any way something like this can be implemented?

Thanks,

Dani

3 Comments
electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

This already exists - it's called "Align to Edge" and you can find it under the Quick Transform tab in the Edit UVWs window.

DaniSan_2
Explorer

Yes! Thanks, pflorian, this is exactly what I needed.

I hardly ever move things around in edge mode so it's always been grayed out for me, and I've never been able to see what it did.  

Thanks again! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report