Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice Function Improvements

Slice Function Improvements

Slice Functions need some more functions

I'd like there to be a couple enhancements to Slice.

Epoly Slice Enhancement

Add a new option, like and alongside the Split option in Epoly properties, called Cap* that is specifically for slice (*so named appropriately to not be confusing with the current Cap in epoly). This would consolidate the actions of cutting up an object and having to cap open borders. It should force the split to immediately apply a cap to the open borders.

This solves the problem of trying to cut an object into elements while trying to keep the object composed of sealed, convex sub-elements. Currently, you need to take several steps for each slice because, if you do not immediately go cap, and then make another slice that crosses the plane of a previous slice, you will create a border that is not planar--and when capped is often not the desired results.

Quckslice Mode in Slide Modifier

Slice Modifier Slice Plane should be updated to have a Quick Slice mode to more quickly draw the plane of a slice. The current slice plane is not convenient for scenarios when you want to slice from one specific point to another (as you can do in Epoly's QuickSlice). As the Slice Modifier is convenient for using on multiple objects, I would like QuickSlice rolled into the standard slice plane UI (so the user can decide to define the plane with the slice plane gizmo, or draw the transformation of the slice plane).

You may think that it's in no need because the user can manually align the slice plane with standard transformations... but doing those types of slice transformations are awkward when trying to slice objects precisely between specific points (like a plane running through two specific grid points etc.) It is what makes Quickslice in Epoly convenient. It should be added to the slice modifier.

4 Comments
lightcube
Advisor

Although I'd still like to see the Epoly feature added, I've written a scripted utility and custom attribute for slice modifiers to add Quick Slice to the slice modifier. You can now get this functionality for free in the Slice Modifier Tools.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

+1

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report