Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slate Material Editor UI Improvements

Slate Material Editor UI Improvements

It is very difficult to keep materials organized in the current Slate Material Editor. Here is a list of UI features that would improve the readability of materials to make it easier to use them and manipulate them in complex scenes.

- Copy And Paste Nodes
- Controllers Take Up Too Much Screen Space
- Straight Or Curvey Noodles
- Adding Nodes To Network
- Noodle Snapping
- Noodle Anchors
- Floating Node Creation Incremental Search Textbox
- Node Favorites
- Colored Nodes
- Node Comments
- Backdrop Nodes
- Node Search / Filter
- Dim Nodes That Are Not Upstream

Copy And Paste Nodes

We need the ability to duplicate nodes in the schematic editor.

Controllers Take Up Too Much Screen Space

A Controller in the Slate Material Editor takes up a considerable amount of space considering they're usually just a simple number.

Could we have these made smaller like this...

Not only would it take up less space in the graph, which helps navigation, but would actually make it even easier to see what controllers are hooked up to what since they are not only a different color, but a different shape.

Straight Or Curvy Noodles

Currently we only have curvey noodles, which can be difficult to read sometimes in large networks. WOuld like to see a mode where you can switch between curvy or straight noodles.

Adding Nodes To Network

When you say create a new ColorCorrection node, you should be able to place it on the noodle between a texture and a materials Diffuse map input and the ColorCorrection node gets added to the network without the need to manually hook it up. Some internal logic could be introduced to guess what inputs / outputs should be hooked up in these situations, and it would do its best guess.

Noodle Snapping

When you move a node near the horizontal or vertical position of a neighboring node, the node should snap to match the vertical or horizontal position, this will allow your graphs to be a little more organized.

Noodle Anchors

Sometimes noodles in a schematic editor can be too busy which makes it hard to see. A node anchor is a dummy node you place on a noodle to move the noodle along a specific path. Like if you have a noodle that crosses over top of a node, you place an anchor and then hook the noodle up to the anchor to steer the noodle around the node it was previously covering.

Floating Node Creation Incremental Search Textbox

Right now in the upper left of the Slate Material Editor, you have a "Search By Name" textbox, and as you type the name of the node you're looking for, it filters the nodes based on what you've typed. I'd like to see this go a step further where this feature is right in the middle of the node graph, accessible by hotkey, and once you click the node from the list you want, it places it where your cursor is, which allows you to more quickly place the node. The textbox would also accept wildcards like *

Node Favorites

Many shading folk tend to use 99% the same 5-10 nodes. We need a "favorites" area in the node creation area that the user can choose their most used nodes and place them in that area to easily grab them.

Colored Nodes

Currently nodes are colored based on their type. I'd like to see the following modes that can be switched between...

• "by Node Type", the current default
  • "By Channel" everything that's plugged into the diffuse slot of a material is a diffferent color from things plugged into the bump slot, for example
  • "Custom", where every node can be manually colored by the user for organizational purposes. The colors of the individual nodes would be saved with the max file.

Node Comments

Sometimes you want to leave comments on a node, reminding yourself or another team member something, like "Make sure to keep the low clamp of this noise below 0.2 or else you'll get weird results later on". Each node would have a comments field, and if the node has a comment associated with it, it can have a little talk bubble icon beside it, and hovering over the node lets you read the comment like a tool tip.

Backdrop Nodes

A backdrop node is really just a UI element to help visually link nodes together, or add notes to your scene. Like you put one behind all nodes in your material that contribute to the diffuse color of a material. You can stack backdrops ontop of each other. Each backdrop has a title area and you can add extra nodes inside the main area.

Node Search / Filter

We need a better way to search for nodes inside the node editor, search by node name, or node type. And also a filter, so that it only displays the nodes of a specific name or type in the view. The nodes that don't fit the current search / filter critieria could be greyed out as you type.

Dim Nodes That Are Not Upstream

Frequently you want to find all nodes that connect with your current node. Dim nodes that are not upstream will take every node that is not connected upstream to the currently selected node and dim them in the interface. That way you can immediately see what nodes are contributing to your current signal.

These features (along with the ability to group nodes) will allow you to navigate real production materials like this...

In a much nicer way...

38 Comments
kris
Collaborator

Well, Neil, saves me from having to type it up.

< Nix this, I see you have it under "map soloing":

I'll add this: the ability to "isolate" a material with its sub-maps.  Things can get messy and chaotic, and it would be nice if the rest of the tree was much lighter (but still visible), via toggle.

<

Kris.

Ehsan.Sarahian
Advocate

Thanks for your complete explanations!

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk

@soulburn

As always, very thought out.  Will review with the team.

Thanks!

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

office
Collaborator

Absolutely fantastic suggestions from Neil / soulburn!!! Voted! If I could put 100 votes on this I would have. Please consider these suggestions, Autodesk! Blender has most of these (and more) and it's a FREE software! I'm sure you can at least match what the free Blender offers.

office
Collaborator

By the way, here are some ideas from me:

Automatic Node Offset

Add Maps/Materials to Multiple Wires at Once

slate_add_on_selected_wires.jpg

borisk
Contributor

Neil, you forgot about single click to edit materail/map parameters ) 

bneibeck
Community Visitor

I would just like to add that subgraph nodes like in unreal engine blueprint and in substance designer would be useful.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

soulburn, I do not believe that I could have said this any better than you already did.

Autodesk, please do be quick about this improvement. I know the slate editor has been around since 3ds Max 2011(?), but the only reasons I've not used it were those mentioned above by soulburn.

It has potential, but it needs maturity, in my opinion.

Wolf-Man
Advocate

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!!! PLEASE!

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Wolf-Man
Advocate

Please also add Radio nodes

Wolf-Man
Advocate
Wolf-Man
Advocate

These suggestions are 3-4 years too late - come on Autodesk!

rea_nimate
Contributor

Oh wow i just realize this suggestion exist, and all of what neil said are totally needed in slate and it's really overdue.

also i might added one more thing, automatically refresh the Parameter Editor to display the parameter of selected a node, please remove the double click to display the parameter editor.

Come on Autodesk!!!

Renderbydesign
Advisor

Please add the ability to add a text box around a group of materials. An example can be seen in how Stingray does it.

soulburn
Collaborator

Is that not what "Backdrop Nodes" do?

Wolf-Man
Advocate

Sad thing is - we needed this years ago. Please Autodesk, implement all the ideas Neil (Soulburn) posted. SOooooo important. People who really feel the pressures of production need this so bad. 

It makes materials clean and understandable and therefore shareable.

I dont know if its been suggested but can you please also add radio nodes. 

Instead of two nodes connected to a 'phone cable', you may use a radio to tune in to the correct channel to receive a signal. 

Radio nodes would be incredibly helpful also.

Please hurry - we needed this 5 years ago.....in many ways its 5 years late.......I mean I remember the round of applause when Autodesk announced slate editor which was years overdue. 

Wolf-Man
Advocate

https://vimeo.com/57075455

lol look at this.....Autodesk can you buy Zoo-Keeper?

Looks amazing. Love they way you can pack complex shaders and have only the main controls exposed. 

kyleparrino
Observer

Considering this is how most other node based material editors work I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented. It's essentially the same UI features that already exist in the MCG. I hope this gets put into production otherwise I can only hope someone 3rd party writes a script for at least anchor nodes.  

These spaghetti monsters need to be TAMED! 🙂
Spaghetti monster.png

bigonethegod
Enthusiast

You need to bring new life to that slate material dinosaur!Please!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report