Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retriangulation Functions (Displacement Modifier and New Retriangulate Modifier)

Retriangulation Functions (Displacement Modifier and New Retriangulate Modifier)

One of the challenges of using a Displace Modifier is that the triangulation is very often not good for how the displaced mesh will crease. I feel like there should be an option in the Displace Modifier that will adaptively change the triangulation to flow correctly. See the attached image (or attached scene) to explore an example of the poor triangulation. The creasing should flow along with the swirls of the heightmap--but instead the creasing from default plane quads forces it to be jagged.

adaptive_retriangulation_example.png

The same function should be available, also, as a standalone modifier for use in other situations.

3 Comments
michael_spaw
Autodesk

So something akin to render time displacement? Or would it be better as a separate modifier that just does map based tessellation that can then be used in concert with displace?

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

lightcube
Advisor

@michael_spaw : I can think of a few different methods. Map-based tessellation is certainly an option. Curvature-based tessellation might be a better solution for some things. So adding new ways to better re-triangulate or to intelligently tessellate are things to explore.

I think that having standalone modifiers makes the most sense so they can be used arbitrarily. But it also seems that adding some of the options directly into the Displace modifier makes sense considering this is a modifier that is highly prone to needing help to create clean geo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report