Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtime viewport playback for animated textures and shaders

Realtime viewport playback for animated textures and shaders

I have been using 3d max for 13 years and simple animated noise applied to a plane doesn't play in realtime when there is nothing else in the scene. It becomes even more sluggish when the compact material editor is open alongside the viewport play. The slate material editor is better, with a 14fps. but duplicate this plane and add a second animated noise from the OSL range and it slows to 7 fps and gets slower as more animated materials enter the scene.

I have just downloaded blender for the first time to see if the realime viewport is as fast as people say, I opened 10 scenes, they all played in 40 fps, fully rendered with post effects. why can't 3ds max play a simple black and white noise texture in realtime?

If you are wondering what these blender scenes look like:

https://bbbn19.gumroad.com/
everything here is realtime.

It is a headache to have to find funny workarounds to play something back and figure out its phase speed when you can't get smooth playback, having to minimize the material editor to gain some extra fps because you have a gradient ramp open somewhere.

Is it too much to ask that when paying thousands, a year for some software, we can't get a viewport that can display and play smooth animated textures? For over decade this has been a problem, I would really like this fixed, it's a priority for most artists to be able to work seamlessly without primitive workarounds.

Is there anyone from Autodesk listening? If the software simply cannot do this, please tell me so I can stop complaining every few years.

AMD 3970X
Nvidia 3090

128gb ram

Max 2024

1 Comment
hwoRX6FJ
Advocate

Just keep complaining.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report