Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Arrays -- it's about time

Parametric Arrays -- it's about time

The array tool is ancient and it needs to be updated to be parametric and non-destructive.

I think it could be a modifier or maybe even a controller.  It should allow 1D and 2D positional and rotational and perhaps scale-based arrays.

40 Comments
Swordslayer
Advisor

There are several MCG clone modifiers available (the AClone from the sample pack (you can add multiple such clone modifiers to the stack for each axis you want to clone in), 2D Cloner, Clone Local, Clone Radial, CloneWolf or even Clone on Verts and Clone on Curve). If you want to further customize any of them, you can check Paul Neale's walkthrough. There's also free Clone modifier available from iToo if you're on an older max version.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Note this idea already has quite a few votes and is under review. you might want to join the beta as often the ideas listed here are being discussed or actively worked on.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/parametric-arrays-it-s-about-time/idi-p/6870375

Anonymous
Not applicable

its needed

markus
Advocate
Something like that already exist as a modifier created with max creation graph (mcg). There are several mcg that does this with different functionalities. I don't have a link to it but I'm sure you can find it on scriptspot. If not maybe someone else can point you in the right direction. I think some where included in the mcg sample packs released by Autodesk.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blender Array is very easy, but I would like to see something like C4D Mograph too.

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

Very interesting idea.

I think that it could be also a radial symmetry modifier with welding threshold option, perhaps it can be integrated in the symmetry modifier. It should have an option to autodetermine the quantiy of clones needed to make a complete 360 degree round or a minor angle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My personal main requirement is that it works well with the path deformer, or provide it's own way to clone along a spline path as well as deform it.  This would make building curve roads and highway easier.

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

Yep, like the spacing tool but integrated in the same modifier that the Clone.

relies heavily on modifiers and  doesnt have one for doing Arrays, Facepalm !

I just noticed that Blender have done it properly and already has its Arrays as modifiers....

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

Should work for splines too, perhaps something like creating instance objects with the modifiers and constraints, it will be complicated but can be done, I think.

cariculture
Participant

Please add the clone modifier to 3ds max. The clone modifier is really useful.
cinema4d has a cloner and blender has an array modifier.
3ds max also has an array function, but it is not as flexible as other modifiers.
Please add it as a default modifier so that it no longer depends on plug-in or MCG.
Hopefully there are as many options as cinema4d's cloner.
Please consider animation using clone modifier so that it can be useful for motion graphic work.

Tags (3)
MaxBlum
Enthusiast
Hi While it's not implemented to Max you can use Clone modifier made by iToo company. It's free of charge. You can download it from here https://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins It works well and does the same job as shown on your examples from C4d and Blender
cariculture
Participant
I am still using Itoo clone modifier. As you may know from using it, it is a very useful feature. That's why we want it to be made with the basic features of 3ds max. Besides, cinema4d can produce various animations by using clone. I would like to create a clone modifier that has more enhanced features as cinema4d clone.
rusttm
Contributor
cariculture
Participant
Once again, it should come in as a default modifier, no longer relying on plugins or MCG. In addition, it should be a clone modifier with animation features in mind.
teratron
Advocate

Yes it would be nice not to have to rely on 3rd parties for this anymore.

They are pushing for some features as modifiers. Booleans will be first from what it seems . They've  updated the Public roadmap after 202.3 update https://makeanything.autodesk.com/3dsmax/public-roadmap--dynamic-25B1-2288V1.html?&_ga=2.207945435.8...

Array should be next, Im positive about this

With the new Array modifier, I  guess the status of this idea should be changed to Implemented?

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report