Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifier List dropdown - support for wildcards

Modifier List dropdown - support for wildcards

With the evergrowing number of modifiers available in the Modifier List, I would like to be able to:

a) see what I'm typing in when I start typing (the 'Modifier List' text disappears and leaves empty field that could show the characters instead)

b) be able to type wildcards, for example *smooth

This is different from Global Search because it filters only modifiers, nothing else.

8 Comments
Swordslayer
Advisor
The old behavior could stay as a setting, some people might prefer tapping the key repeatedly to get to some modifier. I used to like it when the number of modifiers wasn't that huge, too. Now I would prefer filtering instead - good example is getting to the Surface modifier by typing. You can tap the S key 22 times to get to it, or tap it five times to skip the first few WSM modifiers that are at the start of the list and then find it with cursor. Typing surf or surface won't help as you get stuck in the WSM modifiers on top of the list. I would appreciate the option to filter the list to show only modifiers containing the string.
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Mimwall
Participant

Or grouping or something. It's even more a mess with MCG. MCG could be in it's own list. Or add custom organisation option or at least a favorites modifiers dropdown ? or sort by used times or whatever ...

mbreidt
Advocate
I would like to see the modifier list being filtered by what I typed so far, too. I'd prefer it if though I did not have to include a '*' each time...

just by implementing this will make instantly far better workflow

Combined with my ideas about Modifier buttons sets this  will make of a much better experience

[UI Modifier Buttons Sets] Expandable with extra Toggle & Expand panel buttons

yiannisk
Advocate

The modifier list IS grouped and quite conveniently so.
Most of the most common and useful modifiers come out on top. 

Few people bother to explore the UI giving the impression of limited options. Quite the contrary. 

On the other hand it appears not many people are using the "X" shortcut which allows you to directly search and apply the modifier of your choice without even moving the mouse.   Straight from the viewport. 

Swordslayer
Advisor

yiannisk: Especially if you turn on categories in the Modifier List (Show All Sets in List), the grouping is pretty non-intuitive (Subdivide being inside Radiosity Modifiers group, Data Channel inside Deformations together with Physique - and Skin in a different group etc, see the pic or check Modifier List yourself).

Other thing is you have to type more to get the same result as global search searches everything - typing OP in modifier list skips directly to OpenSubdiv, in global search you have to type OpenS for it to be visible in the list of commands without scrolling.

Also, pretty much none of 3rd party modifiers (and some modifiers distributed with max like all the modifier in the Max creation Graph group) be it MCG ones, scripted ones or regular plugins would show up in global search either unless you write a macro for them. You might not personally use other modifiers than the built-in ones but other do (and I personally use many of them).

modifierList.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report