Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluids in Max

Fluids in Max

Recognizing that other ideas might be for specific executions, such as FLEX in Max, this idea is simply:

Implement a solid solution for FLUIDS (liquids, flames, smoke, etc.) in Max, regardless of how specifically this is executed.

Max lacks a core feature that is present in Houdini, is present to varying degrees of success in other competitors, and in fact is present in the FREE BLENDER software.

For Max to not have this in the core means that it has decided not to play in the VFX space in any serious way, but it also means that other industries will miss out as Autodesk refuses to recognize that fluids are even important to some in ArchViz and other industries.

Specifying the exact product to be integrated, or the exact form of integration, may be too limiting.  So this idea is simply to do SOMETHING in this space, rather than continuing to ignore the many users who want this.

16 Comments
martin.coven
Alumni

Make a more robust fluid system where we can simulate photorealistic water, fire, and even smoke without the use of external plugins. Make sure it can be simulated fast and has general overall ease of use and speed unlike RealFlow 4 and even Fume FX.

Tags (2)
wool_
Enthusiast

Adding my vote, and maybe these 2 can be combined in one http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/unified-physics-dynamics-simulations/idi-p/6785067

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk

@wool_

While these are related, a unified system throughout 3ds Max is more than just fluids and should be separate for now.  Not that I don't agree but that is much more involved.  We will continue to monitor both though.

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

phloog
Collaborator
Agreed, Kelly....my fear is that if All Things Dynamic get merged, it will create a monster AD will never dare try.

Having said that, is there an official process document somewhere that defines "monitor" for a wishlist item? Some form of this request has been on the various request systems for a tremendously long time. Does "monitor" have things that are done...is there a point where AD will just announce "it ain't happening" so we can move on?
aon.914858227
Mentor

Also please also consider a simple to use preset system. For example: Just drag a fire-effect onto an object.

phloog
Collaborator

Not to seem horrible, but honestly if you just copied exactly what Houdini is doing, I could stop using Houdini.  The struggle for me, having been a user of Autodesk 3dStudio and now Max for more than 25 years, is that right now I'm only using Houdini for those things Max cannot do, but I'm learning how to do the things I can do in Max in Houdini, and while there's a learning curve, Houdini is pretty awesome.  So you can ignore fluids as you have forever, putting them instead in Maya...but at some point I'll learn the last thing I needed to know in Houdini, and Max is gone.

markus
Advocate

Max without Vray is like a bike without wheels. And Phoenix fd is also pretty awesome. Yeah it costs a little extra but chaousgroup is putting real resources behind their software.  Autodesk should be thankful because plugin makers like chaosgroup is the reason max is as good and as widely used as it still is. I'd rather see Autodesk work on making the core stuff good, and don't try to make some half baked fluid sim. Although the could still implement Naiad into max.

phloog
Collaborator
Never mind...just saw your new rental announcement...don't bother with fluids on my account, as I'm officially done with Max on Jan 25, 2018.
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

A very nice idea, but I'd be careful with saying "regardless how it's implemented".

That gives the developers an "open door" to make the system however they want. This does not really mean that's a bad thing, but if they are going to try and crank out a fluids system in 1 year, assuming the "under review" tag is correct, they'll do whatever it is to get it done the quickest. Even if it means that the system may be a bit hard to use, harder than current particle system setups with Pflow.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Splash!

aon.914858227
Mentor

Now this gets interesting...

sdeters
Advocate

Please do not be an extra add on please buy this license to get this fluid function.  I still need something for the interm time between now and when this gets down in Max.  Real flow or Phoenix3d?  Phoenix 3D does not work with Arnold to well.  Thanks

Br0ken1334
Advocate

Congratulations with 2018.3! 

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

3dsmax 2018.3 is live and includes the most highly requested community feature, fluid simulation, plus more!

f.maltzahn
Participant

Fantastic work 🙂 Thank you for this grate feature ... but ... is the next step Flames and Smoke inside 3ds max? Or is possible build this with Fluids?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report