Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance procedurals

Enhance procedurals

Procedurals maps are very useful. They could be improved to make them more powerful : offer more noise types, more controls, etc .

An excellent starting point would be looking into BerconMaps

6 Comments
pokoy
Advocate

Absolutely agree. We need a new advanced noise map type that ships with Max. Some additional ideas in order to make this a valid replacement for BerconMaps & co:

- Simplex noise type

- Perlin noise type

- Voronoi noise type

- Gabor noise type

- Randomization of position, rotation, scale per object/instance, element (subobject elements), particle, group (not sure if possible)

- ability to map ALL parameters

- a distortion/perturbation slot with mappable strength

- ability to save and load presets from a list, customizable by user

- simple image processing controls (brightness, min&max clamping, contrast, output intensity)

- should work with ALL shipping renderers - scanline & compatible, ART and Arnold

5vil
Advocate

Agree, too. Procedural maps 're very useful and independent of user texture library.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

masterzap
Enthusiast

As if today, 3ds max supports OSL, the Open Shading Language. You can now do literally all of the above - with the exception of rendering in ART, A360 or Quicksilver. But you can in Arnold, vRay, Corona, Scanline & friends plus use them anywhere else in Max where a Map is requested.

/Z

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This was vastly Implemented in 3ds Max 2019 via OSL updates. Check out the 101 included shaders including noises, math nodes, etc. Thanks for the Idea!

Jan_Brana
Advocate

@electrotoast_old, I respect all the work put into OSL. It's a great tool with great possibilities.

However I feel that the OSL addition does not offer that much out of the box, meaning it is up to users to either construct their own procedurals, or search the net for libraries made by other users. I don't consider mere math and misc operator nodes to be procedurals by themselves. I think what the original poster wanted was complete end-product procedurals.

I know Zap and Mads have made plenty of shaders available, but it's not obvious to all users how to get them, and several of these shaders are simply "experimental" work-in-process ones.

But just to explain my point further, OSL offers about four new noise types.

Cinema4d offers 32 different, versatile noise types out of the box. You don't have to search any third-party libraries to make them available in your toolset.

It would be great to include more complete and reliable noise and procedural pattern types to the 3ds max installation (at least as an option) so that users have these procedurals from simply installing 3ds max.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea