Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the quick access toolbar

Bring back the quick access toolbar

After searching for a solution to the Quick Access Toolbar missing from 3DS Max 2018 (I'd been using 2016 and 2017 up until recently), I found this thread, stating that the toolbar had been removed (for some unknown reason), and if we wanted it back, we'd have to submit an idea.

Well, here I am, requesting that the toolbar be put back. If people don't like it, they can hide or remove it, but I and many others found it quite useful. Without an explanation, this seems like regression for the sake of regression, which is never a good thing.

2 Comments
lightcube
Advisor

I was one of the people petitioning AD to remove that from Max. It wasn't so much the utility of it that I was concerned about--but the overhead in that utility. It was reported by several users that removing this could improve Max startup times by up to a minute. I do not remember if there was anything nailed down with certainty on that issue, but there seemed to be a lot of credence to the reports. Apparently, the toolbar could freeze with network issues and would block Max until the timeout period was reached.

I personally am not averse to bringing it back--but if it ever is brought back, it needs to have its innards reworked so that it cannot slow Max down. The search docs feature was nice... but there was no good reason for it to stall Max. 

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Given the recent UI changes, it was decided to remove the QAT for now. Archiving this as we don't have a time frame we would revisit that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report