Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boolean need to be a modifier

boolean need to be a modifier

I really think that "Compound objects" need to be suppressed. All operation need to be a modifier.

I have tons of problem with actual logic. It's limit or destroy my workflow a lot. I really think that we need a the end of a revision of compound for future node integration and faster workflow.

9 Comments
shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

K.W.J.P.
Advocate

And get rid of old stuff like ProBoolian (or make it "Pro") - in my most cases it produces nothing that could be called "pro" Handling converted BodyObj the other normal "Boolian" much more reliable

teratron
Advocate

@K.W.J.P.  What issues are you having with Pro Boolean?
I.m.o. it's the best basic Boolean tool I have seen (not counting things like mesh fusion). Blender is just now catching up to it with the high quality mode.
Max's regular Boolean system has gotten allot better (the explorer, and dynamic splines are great) but it still doesn't have planar edge removal, decimation, built in quadrify, extract as instance etc. like Pro Boolean does.
It's probably my favorite part of Max and the reason I still use Max tbh. 

K.W.J.P.
Advocate

I was having some CAD/Bodyobjects wich I was not able to bool in Pro Boolean. In the regular one, it just did -alomost - fine. still having open some wishes, like automatic capping on open areas wich are produced and  needed to be closed within double walls / shell appearance.  But - yes, like as in a lot of cases, it´s all about the guy using the tools. I stumbled just by chance of this here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMr2lhGvbiA  that´s also somewhat cracy and shows how much knowledge even over a single tool can be gained. But maybe AD can go for a reconsolidation to get the best from both of them  - and leave this tool even as a modifier...  (I know, I want much....=)

teratron
Advocate

@K.W.J.P. 
"I was having some CAD/Bodyobjects which I was not able to bool in Pro Boolean." Interesting, I've sometimes had issues with the default settings in Pro Boolean on certain meshes. Usually switching to "remove only invisible" or "no edge removal" under the advanced options rollout gets it to work for me.

"still having open some wishes, like automatic capping on open areas which are produced and  needed to be closed within double walls / shell appearance." These sound cool, I have some luck with the cap and shell modifiers for things like this but they can always better and more integrated.

Alexey is amazing! His work is super inspiring.

Having Booleans as a Modifier is definitely a neat concept and makes sense for Max in allot of ways.
The Hardmesh Plugin works this way and it's pretty cool. I just wish they had a "preview mode" without all the fancy blending as it can get taxing on the system. http://www.hard-mesh.com/

Cheers!

A new Boolean Modifier is on the Public Roadmap in Beta: The Public Roadmap | Autodesk

With the new Boolean modifier I guess this idea should be as Implemented?

K.W.J.P.
Advocate

well - probably - and last but not least:

YES!

😎

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report