Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add interoperability support for DGN/AECOsim and KMZ formats.

Add interoperability support for DGN/AECOsim and KMZ formats.

Some local government agencies (DoT) require the user of Microstation formats instead of AutoCAD.  Native support for these DNG files would make it easier to visualize and render these data sets.  

Additionally, many designers use Google Earth data (KMZ) in Sketchup or other such programs, native KMZ support would greatly increase productivity for rendering these types of objects.  

5 Comments
CAMedeck
Advisor

I'd also like to add that we recently encountered a project that was built in Microstation Plant Design Software.  The client wants to easily bring the model into a VR environment, and do so on a weekly basis.  If the DGN file could be linked to 3ds Max, outputting to Stingray would be the obvious choice.  But having to convert the DGN to DWG or some other file format starts to degrade the model information and adds additional steps.  At that point, a solution directly out of Microstation becomes more viable.

brentscannell
Alumni

Sounds interesting, its definitely something we can look at. Can supply some sample files that we can test with?

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

CAMedeck
Advisor

I can't share any of the DGN files from Microstation Plant Design that we are using, unfortunately.  I can try to find someone to make some generic models for testing purposes, though.

The original post also requests KMZ support.  Microstation can output line work out as a KMZ file that can be opened in Google Earth and viewed in context.  Having the ability to see your roads and hardscape not only on the map, but with the ability to rotate the view in 3d is very powerful.  

dsilva
Explorer

There are some of us in private industry that use MicroStation as well. My current workflow is draw in DGN MicroStation, Export to DWG, Link to 3ds Max. Render in Vray. Yes it works. But some of us just prefer MicroStation to AutoCAD. 

Half my design staff is AutoCAD and half is MicroStation. I can use both, but can draw so much faster in MicroStation.

We are exhibit designers/builders.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report