Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Section Box

3D Section Box

I would like to have a 3D-Section-Box like you have in Revit. It would be a great advantage while working on bigger and more complex Scenes.

11 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revit Section Box.JPG

This is essential functionality that I can't live without in Revit. If an adjustable section box is too complicated for some reason, please give us at least section cut planes in X Y and Z for modeling, but since this has such a great implementation in Revit one would hope it could be done in a similar fashion in Max. Tremendous time saver. 

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks for the idea.

-Michael

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on this? This would be absolutely awesome!

Especially as an architect working on massive models. Applying a section modifier is not feasible or possible.

It would be good if you could render with the model clipped by the section box too.

that would be bloody awesome but I dont have any high hopes.

nicinus
Participant

+1

The problem with a request like this is that few 3ds Max users are familiar with Revit, so it is probably hard to visualize how useful this actual is in your daily workflow.

chopYJ29A
Explorer

+100 for this idea. In complex scenes when you have to sort out some tiny details, this would be a million times faster than hiding, unhiding, isolating etc. 

nicinus
Participant

One of the areas it would be perhaps the most useful is when linking in a Revit model. As the geometry is linked it is not easy to separate the model into small parts and hide portions via layers, etc. A section box in 3ds Max would make it much easier to work on parts of the model.

now with the smart extrude behaviour this seems coming from the same area

how is this different than Using Slice plane modifier with more than one axis?

nicinus
Participant

Well, for one you can only practically use it on one object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report