Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

XRef Scene visible but will not be rendered

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
3d-labor
2294 Views, 9 Replies

XRef Scene visible but will not be rendered

I have a XRef scene in another scene file. For some reason the XRef is not rendered anymore. After inserting it there was no problem with rendering. Now I can see this XRef scene and I can bind it, but when I hit render nothing is visible. When I remove it and insert it again nothing changed. But when I merge it into the scene it will be rendered. When I insert another XRef scene this one will not be rendered too. So I thing I donĀ“t see something very simple to solve the problem. In other scenes XRef scenes works fine. 

Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x@ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.
Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx@ 3,20 GHz 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof.
Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2021, VRay 5, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libei.Wang
in reply to: 3d-labor

Hello @3d-labor ,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I have checked in my 3ds Max 2021 and 2022 installation, and I can render xref-ed scene.  Which version of 3ds Max did you use that encounter this problem?  Which renderer?  Did you see any error or warning messages in the Render Message window?

Best regards,

Libei

Libei Wang
Sr QA Analyst for 3ds Max
Message 3 of 10
3d-labor
in reply to: Libei.Wang

Hello Libei Wang,

thank you for supporting me. As I wrote, in other scenes XRef scenes works fine. This is only this special scene were the error happens. So I thought, that I made a mistake with some settings. It is Ver 2021.3.2 with VRay 5, update 1.2. No special warnings in the renderer. The XRef scene is simply absent. Also in the IPR window of VRay. But in the viewports I can see this scene, I can bind this scene, move it arround but it will not be rendered. Also all new added XRef scenes will not be rendered. Either the "mother" scene file is corrupted (but the renders are fine) or there is some setting other than in the XRef scene dialog, where you can switch of the scene file. May be that I will make a new scene to solve it. I think AutoDESK should spend some routines for scene files which corrects errors and delete unneeded data of the file, like the PURGE or the DRAWINGRECOVERY commands in AutoCAD.

Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2021, VRay 5, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....
Message 4 of 10
ads_delesdr

@3d-labor Did you double check the Renderable flags in the Layers on the source file used? The program can be tricky with the way it interprets those settings with the settings in the current file that referencing it.

Rick D

Senior QA Analyst - 3ds Max

Message 5 of 10
3d-labor
in reply to: ads_delesdr

Thank you for this hint. I will look for it. It may be that there is a problem. There are two AutoCAD layers, which are switched of everytime I open the scene file . In the AutoCAD drawing they are switched on. After saving and restarting the scene and reload the AutoCAD file these two layers are of again. I will watch it.

Message 6 of 10
taniko1

Hi! Did you ever found a solution? I am having the very same problem and can't find any help online. I have checked every setting in V-Ray and 3ds Max without luck. X-ref scenes are visible in Viewport but won't render, merged objects (from those same scenes) just render fine. Thank you!
Message 7 of 10
kb.nikhil

Hello All, I had the same issue as you mentioned above, my scene was working fine until I applied a hair and fur modifier to the rug in the xref scene. When I removed it, the scene is rendering fine.

My assumption is try removing the any such modifiers applied or bring them to the original scene..

Thank you. 

Message 8 of 10
slimeck25
in reply to: kb.nikhil

dude, your post helped me out. on my scene hair and fur modifier applied to some object that belonged to original scene (not to xref scenes) stopped xrefs from being renderable alltogether (visible in viewport, but not in recder). removing it the modifier from this object made the xrefs/containers instantly render again. good job, autodesk!
Message 9 of 10
taniko1
in reply to: kb.nikhil

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions. I have checked and I don't have any hair and fur modifier applied.

What is weirder is that this scene will render just fine on render farm. I don't know if the render farm merges everything together and that's why it works or if that might be a memory issue.

Message 10 of 10
ad
Community Visitor
in reply to: slimeck25

I had the same problem, couldn't figure it out (xrefs rendered fine before) and came to this tread! For me it was the Hair and Fur thing as well, removed it from the scene and the xrefs renderd again. For the scene I'm working on it was fine, the hair and fur was not very noticable anyway, but this is not a long term solution! I hope Autodesk is aware of this problem and fixes it! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report