Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 7 .max thumbnails in explorer

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
RGhost77
9208 Views, 10 Replies

windows 7 .max thumbnails in explorer

Hello. It seems to me that I have found the solution how to back .max thumbs in windows 7 explorer.

You need to add this code in the registry. Use included .reg file or code below. Be sure you know what you are doing and create registry checkpoint. Of course to get it work you need restart your pc after have finished adding registry keys.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

@="{98de59a0-d175-11cd-a7bd-00006b827d94}"

"ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemTypeText;System.Size;System.DateModified;System.Author;System.OfflineAvailability"
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.Title;System.Subject;System.Keywords;System.Category;System.Comment;System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Author;System.Document.LastAuthor;System.Document.RevisionNumber;System.Document.Version;System.ApplicationName;System.Company;System.Document.Manager;System.Document.DateCreated;System.Document.DateSaved;System.Document.DatePrinted;System.Document.TotalEditingTime;System.PropGroup.Content;System.ContentStatus;System.ContentType;System.Document.PageCount;System.Document.WordCount;System.Document.CharacterCount;System.Document.LineCount;System.Document.ParagraphCount;System.Document.Template;System.Document.Scale;System.Document.LinksDirty;System.Language;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemTypeText;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemTypeText;System.Size;System.DateModified;System.Document.PageCount"
"PerceivedType"="document"
"PreviewDetails"="prop:*System.DateModified;System.Author;System.Keywords;*System.Size;System.Title;System.Comment;System.Category;*System.Document.PageCount;System.ContentStatus;System.ContentType;*System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus;System.Subject;*System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith"
"ThumbnailCutoff"=dword:00000000

@="{9DBD2C50-62AD-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

@="{98de59a0-d175-11cd-a7bd-00006b827d94}"

"Format"="{BA830000-AE6C-4804-98BA-C57B46965FE7}"
"ContentType"="{680ADF52-950A-4041-9B41-65E393648155}"

".max"="document"

@="{97e467b4-98c6-4f19-9588-161b7773d6f6}"

"Format"="{BA830000-AE6C-4804-98BA-C57B46965FE7}"
"ContentType"="{680ADF52-950A-4041-9B41-65E393648155}"

@="{97e467b4-98c6-4f19-9588-161b7773d6f6}"

But after you have added this code your thumbnails will not be stretched at full size. At this time I have found the only way to avoid it is remove 3dsmax.exe association with .max files. That's not a good idea but it works.

To do this you need to find and remove key named something like this:

I'm looking forward to get this solution better...

max_tumbs_w7.zip

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RGhost77

Thank you,Royal Ghost
it's works,but the thumbs still not stretched at full size after i removed that key,so did you find a better solution?

sorry for my bad english.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you, very good, but there are some minor problems, such as the large number of thumbnail previews is not successful, there are not large max file shows a thumbnail, as well as the lower right corner of the white box should be shown as the icon with the words “max” better!
sorry for my bad english.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for this!
Sure would be swell to get it 100% tho...
Please let us know if you got it
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

that's impressive,thank you...

... I have the same display error like xujieon e

I hope you get rid on it.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

hey,

I noticed that while within a folder you skip from list view to thumb view.... the showed thumb aren't stretched and 3/4 of it is white..... but then, if you navigate with the explorer arrows from that folder back and again forward you'll notice that the thumbnails are displayed correctly(stretched) 😉
only few remain unstretched.

this mean that the issue in the keys is smaller than expected....

about the generic application icon showed in the thumb.... this is due that the first icon contained in 3dsmax.exe is strangely a generic app icon, while the second one is the real 3dsmax.exe icon also to find normally in: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\ui\Icons\ATS\atsscene.ico.

with reshacker.exe I edited 3dsmax.exe by replacing the first icon set... and now it's displayed correctly in thumb.

see attached small pics

PS: for the one that want be showed stretched it seam to work only a open and save of the scene..
don't forget to navigate away and then again back to the folder to view changes.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I wonder why autodesk 3dsMax team didnt including this kind of feature in their installation so we can have thumb in explorer. this reg is disabled since max 8. I wonder why ?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

OK!good!
Message 9 of 11
mbreidt

Will this work only for Windows 7?

Thanks!
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for this solution to a stupid oversight by ADesk, they were probably too busy working on the new beta...cough...sorry.... Max 2012 to see this.

I too can't get them to stretch to full size even after removing associations. Anyway I zoom right in on whatever I'm working on before saving, It helps a bit 😉
Message 11 of 11
RGhost77

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report