Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be a good affordable computer for 3Ds Max?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1423 Views, 7 Replies

What would be a good affordable computer for 3Ds Max?

Hello. My computer isn’t powerful enough for 3Ds Max. I was wondering what is the best affordable computer to run 3Ds Max with no problems. Complete newb here so any help would be appreciated. 

Many thanks 

Will 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

why not just upgrade your old computer, if you don't have an intel motherboard with 4 slots for the memory then get one and completely max one the memory with about 64 bits of memory, and get a VGA card that is recommended by autodesk

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/3dsmax2019_GFX_ResultsJan2019.pdf but becareful these can be very pricey as much as a new computer.

if you really want a new computer what are you gonna be focusing on? design and animation or rendering?

IMHO i would not just buy one off the shelf because you get ripped off, i would buy the hardware for yourself and build it if you know how, or if you have a friend who can built one you can save more money that way instead of buying it off the shelf.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

Hi.

Thank you for your reply. I would be focusing on animation like building character faces and everyday items like trees, animals and buildings etc. I would be interested to in working in the gaming industry in the future. don’t really know much about building a computer or the software / hardware or where to start.

I have a laptop but don’t have a desktop anymore so was hopefully looking to buy one that is affordable. I’ve been working through the tutorials on the 3Ds Max academy but my laptop isn’t powerful enough to support the 3Ds Max software.

Will
Message 4 of 8
irishman_team_kilber

theres are some computers laptop https://www.binarytides.com/best-laptops-for-3d-modeling/ look for people who used them and see what they say about them, these are the high end range IMHO if you have a price range it will be a lot more easier, weather is pounds  or USD

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

Thank you so much!

I’ll check out those computers. Your replies have been really helpful!

Will 🙂
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

i searched newegg for both Ryzen and Intel Core based Desktops in Mid-Tower, New not used, and DDR4 and Ryzen has a great Pre-built and expandable All-In-One, Cybertron model:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS7CZ8107

I also searched for the most efficient Intel based system, and the best priced and upgradeable Alienware is here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S8ZP2530&ignorebbr=1

AMD tends to be less capable with CPU Clock speed, however the clock speed on the Cybertron linked above is very high, comes with a starter SSD for OS/light apps, and expansion slots for more storage and RAM, Good Gfx card (GTX 1080, 8GB GDDRX PCI-E 3.0, awesome card.)

I like Intel personally, and the Aleinware is ok and less expensive... things i don't like about it are the Power Supply Unit (450Watt) and the GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5... this means you might save a bit of cash or if you're on a budget it would make sense to get a strong PC that can be upgraded in the future, and you should be able to swap the PSU and Graphics card, though out of the box it will run nicely, i would recommend picking up a 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 288-pin RAM DIMM while you're shopping.

If newegg does not ship to your region, i aplogogize, and if they do, then these are solid options,

I would go with the Ryzen in the top link ToBeHonest.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Mike Mckeon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to search for these computers for me and hopefully I will find something I can buy. I’m not too familiar with all of the details mentioned here but I will certainly research the links of what you have sent and I’m sure this information is invaluable.

Many thanks 🙏

Will
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, " irishman_team_kilber" is terribly wrong and has no validation (at least not in the current state of PC picking) in this discussion, not to bash him, though.

Upgrading an existing desktop (which the Original Poster already stated that he/she doesn't even have one anymore) is often times impossible because the mainboard won't support certain upgrades.

Also, "one off the shelf" isn't a bad thing anymore, Pre-Built Desktop PCs have become aware that they aren't going to sell unless they deliver. i don't know if looking at certain online retailers, or physical, local or chain stores are putting sub-par hardware in their machines and selling at a premium cost... but the links i provided are very solid.

However the OP doesn't have PC building knowledge, and i wouldn't recommend buying parts for a PC if you haven''t been installing parts before.

Once again, I would go with the Ryzen Cybertron Pre-Built Mid-Tower PC Because it has a great CPU, great Graphics card (GPU), expansion for larger SSDs, and compatibility for 64GB RAM. That right there is a seriously Beast PC for Under $1,700... i built my PC from individual parts and it cost me around $2,400 to manage the system specs.

I did choose to go with a preference in colors and RGB lighting, airflow, Future-Proofing and expandability... in the long run i am happy with it. to elaborate, i not only run 3ds max, unreal engine 4, photoshop, mudbox, and crazy bump... i am a music producer using FL Studio and a Novation Launchkey 49 MK III, a Mixman DM2 32-track mixer, and playing on unlimited Synthesizer generators routed to my MIDI keyboard with FX, EQ, and real-time mixing, it's demanding of my resources.To make things more demanding, i have a Creative Fatal1ty Champion Recon 3D pci-e Sound-card with THX TruStudio DSP, surround spatializer, crystalizer, and a duplex-capable recording function which takes up a lot of cpu when playing from FL Studio into Adobe Audition with THX's DSP enabled to master my tracks.

Also, i am Irish as well, and i have the Corsair Graphite 230T series Case in Rebel Orange, with green and white LED 120mm Fans in the top and front slots... and ASUS Aura set to dynamically fade from green to (gold[yellow], not white) to orange, and it is a great looking machine, the RAM also fades accordingly,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report