Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wacom Intuos5 incompatible with windows 8

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
3209 Views, 32 Replies

Wacom Intuos5 incompatible with windows 8

We did some tests with a windows 8 machine and we found out that the wacom Intuos5 driver is a total mess, Especially horrible with max and all 3d apps. The right click takes 2 seconds to appear and it lags a lot in dragging windows around. The right click also has the famous circle. In other words Intuos5 is unusable for Zbrush - 3ds Max workflow.
There are some registry edits but this time they don't fix the problem. Exactly the same story we had with windows 7 but without a proper hack.

Horrible drivers and the community trying to sort things out.

EDIT!!!15/02/2013
Wacom posted a new driver yesterday where 3ds max’s right click doesn’t work.!!! Whenever you press it turns the right click popup window on but you can’t select anything, the window sticks there until you use a mouse or throw a wacom tablet out of a window. Any ideas?
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
paulbrogren
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not expecting a fix for this from either Wacom of MS. Wacom's drivers have been a problem for years although they like to hide it (though I did have some honesty from support a few weeks ago that said they are aware of the problem, but don't have a solution. I think that guy is fired. hehe.)

MS is not going to fix this because touch interface for the masses easily trumps a few percent who use Wacoms. And like less than one percent that use it professional for 3D and compositing.
Message 3 of 33
doug_bowker_3D

I think you gave up too soon.

Yes, there is an odd sort of "double" drivers that happens with Wacom and the Windows pen support, and as usual I'm sure they blame each other. But that is all totally fixable. In the Pen and Touch setting in the Control Panel, you first off disable everything in the Flicks tab.

Then under the Press and Hold settings of Pen Options, make sure to un-check "Enable press and hold for right-clicking".

Next, in the Wacom Tablet Properties applet, make sure the Intuos Tablet setting of Tablet Mode is set to Standard, and not Recognition Data.

At the bottom of the applet is Options. It needs to be set for Hover Click, not the Windows default of "Click & Tap".

Do these steps and you're good to go. It's not just the Intuos 5, it's all of them that have this conflict. However, I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and have no issues using the pen with Max or any other graphics app.

My Space Mouse on the other hand, does not play as nicely with Win 8 and Max, even though supposedly the driver is real. It just doesn't seem to work in Max anymore, or some times does and others not.
Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: doug_bowker_3D

Sorry about the space mouse . After a working day "debugging" their horrible drivers I managed to fix it a bit more.

I have done what you said in the first place but it didn't work. The right click had a delay and to get rid of the ripples you need to do the registry edit. With a days work from me and IT the wacom costs £800. This is unacceptable.

I had also to run some registry edits
First disable flicks and press and hold right click - hover click is there by default. After that
Applied registry fix that worked for Windows 7.
ContactVisualisation from 1 to 0, and the key GestureVisualisation
from 1F (31) to 0

The only thing I have now is the circle in right click. No much delay either.
I just hope that there is no hidden service that will turn the settings back to where they were. I found that the flicks were back on this morning.
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous

I restarted today and the flicks were turned on! The right click has a delay and its menu sticks on until I press escape. There must be a service that turns things on.
Message 6 of 33
paulbrogren

I think you gave up too soon.

Yes, there is an odd sort of "double" drivers that happens with Wacom and the Windows pen support, and as usual I'm sure they blame each other. But that is all totally fixable. In the Pen and Touch setting in the Control Panel, you first off disable everything in the Flicks tab.

Then under the Press and Hold settings of Pen Options, make sure to un-check "Enable press and hold for right-clicking".

Next, in the Wacom Tablet Properties applet, make sure the Intuos Tablet setting of Tablet Mode is set to Standard, and not Recognition Data.

At the bottom of the applet is Options. It needs to be set for Hover Click, not the Windows default of "Click & Tap".

Do these steps and you're good to go. It's not just the Intuos 5, it's all of them that have this conflict. However, I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and have no issues using the pen with Max or any other graphics app.

My Space Mouse on the other hand, does not play as nicely with Win 8 and Max, even though supposedly the driver is real. It just doesn't seem to work in Max anymore, or some times does and others not.

I'm aware of this fix. This doesn't get rid of the drag delay. It might be something that is subtle for you not to notice, but for character and other fine animation it's very noticeable, even after the fix.

Check out this link: https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/wacom-and-microsoft-fix-the-wacom-driver-issues-and-windows-8...

And this back and forth with Wacom support who admits there is NO FIX:

"Thank you for the video, I did have my driver team take a look at the issue you have shown. This is a problem caused by Window 8's Pen input and is something that a driver cannot change or fix. We have seen one work around that does help the issue but does not get rid of the issue completely." The issue they're talking about is the drag delay.

I am curious though of the additional action you had in there of "setting of Tablet Mode to Standard, and not Recognition Data". I don't see this option anywhere. Can you show me exactly where this is?

Thanks
Message 7 of 33

Heheh- Believe me, I can notice it! For a while in Win 7 I pretty well would not use the Wacom because of the problems it gave me.

Try this set of instructions: seems pretty extensive. http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/pen%20and%20touch?language=es_ES In particular look at the Group Policy editing they point out.

Good luck!
Doug Bowker
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: paulbrogren

I don't see any set of instruction in tumblr tagged pen and touch ? what was the article you are talking about.
Message 9 of 33
paulbrogren

It's up in the top left corner of his site. It's quite clear and comprehensive. (thanks dbowker3d!) It unfortunately doesn't remove the drag delay entirely and some of those actions only work in Windows 7 even though the options are there in Windows 8 (sooooo weeeeird). But, like Wacom's support instructions state as well, this will not completely fix the problems. The drag delay for example, will still be there.

I can live with circle and flicks (which seem to keep turning on!) but I can't deal with even the smallest drag delay. Game over. Back to Windows 7.
Message 10 of 33
paulbrogren

Interesting discovery. If you have Combustion try this experiment. Run Combustion and start a workspace. Now drag something around or paint something on the Combustion canvas. Now switch over to a window or explorer or whatever and drag that window around... Drag delay gone. Drag a scroll bar on a window.... Drag delay is gone, like completely gone.

Some programs appear to be able to stop the windows pen subsystem, or whatever you want to call it, and bring things back to normal. But it seems it has to be a pretty old program. Anyway, pretty weird, lasts a few minutes, and not a solution. Not to mention running some old program in the background is not a solution anyway.
Message 11 of 33
doug_bowker_3D

That's just weird your Flicks and such keep coming back as mine never did after I turned them off. Maybe you need to look at your User settings or something. Also, after all the Windows stuff is killed, make sure to re install your Wacom driver.

I think Wacom basically could care less about it's customers most times. They should by default have their drivers turn off all Windows junk and make their own install work out of the box. They charge an outrageous price for technology that is over 15 years old (sure, with incremental improvements but nothing actually new). I mean seriously, you can by an iPad or Surface, real computers, for the cost of a slightly larger Wacom. And their friggin' Cintique? $1000 just for the 12" version! Seriously, and it's not even touch capacitive! I really hope all these new tablet PCs put them in their place.
Doug Bowker
Message 12 of 33
Anonymous

There is a machine with combustion but we don't use it any-more... will try to deactivate it and install it here.
Message 13 of 33

Dude, there are some great options popping up that the Chinese have had for years and they're just only now marketing to North America. There's Bosto, Hanvon, Yiynova, and these companies also have display versions. They're a third the price!!! The Bosto cintiq equivalent is like $700 for example. And what's been really disappointing for me is that the Cintiq has this long time notorious delay (not the snapping drag bug, just slow response), and I paid through the nose for it. Like look at this thing, no lag. This Yiynova is 570 bucks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rGTP4gPZ8

EDIT: Anyway, we are indeed talking about driver issues, so to get back on track, who knows if these companies solve these issues under Windows 8.
Message 14 of 33
timd1971

Gotta disable the TabletPC feature in programs/windows features.

Also one of the wacom HID things in device manager... Search here about it... Been discussed s few times with solutions.
Message 15 of 33
Anonymous

I manage to deactivate pen flicks completely with

windows-X / run / gpedit.msc

User configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components/ Tablet PC / Pen UX behaviours and set prevent flicks to enable.

Today's reboot didn't have flicks but the whole touch system was completely ruined. Whenever I touched the pad it was starting doing all sort of weird things like opening hundreds of windows etc. Therefore touch is deactivated at the moment.

So my problem now is only with 3ds MAX 2013 pu6 and chrome - Photoshop, Zbrush and Windows work as expected ... mostly...
I can summarize it in two big problems
A. When I right click the right click menu sticks I have to continuously press right click to , for example, isolate an object. If I click just once it sticks and I have to press escape to get out of right click menu . The worse is that I can't link and connect materials with the pen any more. Material editor works only with the mouse.

!!! just installed combustion . I opened it, opened max afterwards and no problem at all. Finishing a render and restarting again to check if that is a nice temporary solution. It just occupies 36mb of ram so no problem if I need to have it on all the time.

We Obviously need a driver or something ...This is not a solution.

PS. I still don't understand why combustion is not continuing. It was so much cheaper than smoke in a mac-pro - with a bit of development it could become better than smoke.
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous

Ok the combustion trick didn't last, after reboot the problems start again. There is a sequence of things where tablet and pen feedback gets deactivated. But not sure exactly what.
Message 17 of 33
Anonymous

Hi timd1971, You have helped with an issue some time ago so thanks in advance for having a look at this. Unfortunately these are all hacks for windows7 but Windows 8 doesn't have these options at all! The whole tablet touch and pen system has been rewritten.
Message 18 of 33
timd1971

oh ok...okey dokey.

keep at it...your onto something that will help many! : )
Message 19 of 33
paulbrogren

But if you start Combustion after the reboot it doesn't fix things again? Anyway, ridiculous solution eh? And not really one cause it drops it and you have to alt-tab between Combustion and whatever tablet-unaware program you're using.

Okay, look what I found.... going to blow your mind:

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12751

Scroll down to Helion's entry check out what he's come up with. He has a link to a program he created that does what Combustion does, but you are in control of it. It's a bit tricky to install, but it works. Read further along in the thread to see my replies and how I used his instructions a little differently for use with Intuos 3 instead of Bamboo. Given this is possible, I do see hope from Wacom or Microsoft in the near future. Um... I think.

wurd
Message 20 of 33
Anonymous

This works !!! unbelievable ... custom tap handling. Who is Helion? He saved the day. This is the man who should write wacom drivers! ... Thanks jabba52, Thanks Helion ...
Still this is not a solution. A driver should be released, the community once more solved the problem!

I put Helion original post here.

helion wrote:
Hey there. Since this is the newest thread on this topic, I'm posting this here.

I made a little program that fixes the drag delays for me. What it basically does is simulate a mouse click whenever a pen tap is detected. I included a readme file that goes a bit more into detail (Please read it!), and also the source code. In theory, this should also work with non-Wacom tablets.

You can download it here: http://puu.sh/1X5nd

By the way: The Wacom driver does seem to have similar functionality. There is the option to set a pen button to issue a left click (Modifiers - Clicks - Left), which could then in theory be assigned to the pen tip. However, using this function still has drag delays occuring for some reason. Meh.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report