Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use pivot point shortcuts

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
12888 Views, 13 Replies

use pivot point shortcuts

Hy guys,
does anyone knows if is possible to setup a keyboard shortcut (or a quad, anyone) to the "use pivot point center" command, or to cycle this commands?? it´s very annoing when i try to move, scale or rotate something and the pivot point changes for some reason that i don´t know, and then i have to go to the toolbar and select the pivot position that i want.........i probably do this movement a hundred times each day, and it´s a pain in the ass. I´ve searched all the commands in the customize UI section, but i couldn´t find this particular option.
Can anyone help me?
cheers,

Jsrocha

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

I've been using this script - run it, look into the customization of the UI, find the "Pivot Tools" category, add a shortcut to the Use Toggle Pivot and you're done :).
Unfortunately I don't remember where I found the script initially and I couldn't find the author with a short googleing, so I'm sorry I cannot credit him/her as the author.

the script:

macroScript UsePivotPointCenter
category:"Pivot Tools"
buttonText:"Use Pivot Point Center"
toolTip:"Use Pivot Point Center"
(
on execute do
setCoordCenter #Local
)

macroScript UseSelectionCenter
buttonText:"Use Selection Center"
toolTip:"Use Selection Center"
(
on execute do
setCoordCenter #Selection
)

macroScript UseTransformCoordinateCenter
buttonText:"Use Transform Coordinate Center"
toolTip:"Use Transform Coordinate Center"
(
on execute do
setCoordCenter #System
)

macroScript UseToggle
buttonText:"Use Toggle Pivot"
toolTip:"Use Toggle Pivot"
(
fn centloc = (toolMode.transformCenter())
fn centsel = (toolMode.selectionCenter())
fn centpiv = (toolMode.pivotCenter())

if (getcoordcenter()) == #Local then
(
centloc()
)
else
(
if (getcoordcenter()) == #selection then
(
centpiv()
)
else
(
if (getcoordcenter()) == #system then
(
centsel()
)
)
)
)

copy/paste the text in notepad, save as pivot.ms

Good luck,

Tudor
Message 3 of 14
Steve_Curley

I can't find a shortcut entry for it either, though that's not to say there isn't one.

Remember that each of the 3 main tools (Move/Rotate/Scale) have their own separate settings:- Tool+Coordinate System+Transform Center.
To have them all the same, Customise > Preferences > General (tab) > "Constant" in the Ref Coordinate System section.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 14
Steve_Curley

This forum can really mess with code making it impossible to copy/paste directly from the display. Please ensure you always wrap any code within CODE../CODE tags - there's a button on the post composition screen to do that for you.

I've edited your post to correct this.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you very much guys! it will improve my work a lot!
I owe a beer to both of you!
cheers,

Jsrocha
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

wow, i wish i had known that before!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you Steve, I didn't pay attention to the codes tag, it's true :)....will do next time
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Is there any possibility you or anyone can help to either find out where the hotkey would be for this or how to convert this script for 2021? 😕 this is so frustrating to not be able to find something so simple in theory...

Message 9 of 14
danrod3d
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Any chance you could explain or direct me on how to get this working with 3ds max 2021? 😄

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: danrod3d

Hi boss,

3ds Max 2020 had already default shortcut for Pivot to center ctl+insert

shameerpullolil_0-1587717325127.png

Message 11 of 14
danrod3d

Hey  @Anonymous  I am not sure if I am seeing this right, have typed what I was asking right or if I am not typing what I want to ask correctly. lol What I am trying to do, is to be able to set a hot key that will cycle through the three different types of "use pivot" options we have in 3ds Max. The script at the beginning of the thread here shows exactly what I am trying to do. If there is a shortcut for that can be made for the toggle part of the script, please let me know where that is. If not, how can I make this script work for 3ds Max 2021? 

I want to be able to set a shortcut hotkey to toggle/cycle through the 3 different modes of transform coordinates.  transforms on an object's or a sub-object's selection based on the selection's: center, the selected objects pivots or a certain object I have picked as a transform pivot. 

Message 12 of 14

I checked, everything works the same in 2021.

Message 13 of 14
ROM_RRR

Could somebody help to edit this code (see post #2) so "Use transform Coord System" option would be excluded from toggling?

Thank you in advance

Message 14 of 14
teratron

Found the command in the hot key editor. Look for "Center Point Cycle".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report