Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected results with 3DS Max Liquid (water). Crumbly/holey/rough mesh and water disappearing in collision object

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
koetsierrobert
305 Views, 2 Replies

Unexpected results with 3DS Max Liquid (water). Crumbly/holey/rough mesh and water disappearing in collision object

Hello fellow 3DS Max users.
I am tinkering around with 3DS Max fluids for the first time and I have a few unexpected issues. Maybe and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

In my setup I have a bottle (collider object) filled with a mesh serving as a liquid (custom emitter object with emitter type "container"). The bottle is tilted, so once I start the simulation the liquid will spill.

It kinda works, but I have the following two issues/questions:

1. The mesh of the liquid looks much more rough and crumbly/holey than I hoped for. I used the Water preset as a basis.
  2. I used a large bowl as a collider object with the intention to catch the fluid and have it build up in there as a thin layer, but it somehow seems to disappear/dissolve on impact and I don't understand why. As you can see in one of the screenshots, the kill plane is placed lower in the scene, so it's not the kill plane "killing" the particles on impact.

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
darawork
in reply to: koetsierrobert

Hi,

I did a liquid simulation a few months ago and this really helped me understand a lot of parameters:
https://youtu.be/ZQGgKBr9YIs

I remember the voxel size being quite important, and the container thickness (currently your thickness is 0.0)

The lifespan or decay of the particles might be a big factor in why the water is dying off before you want it to,
Or it might be the Erosion Group / Factor Near Solids?

I can't really remember much exactly, so I'm going to watch the video again hehe.

There's also a handy KnowledgeBase article here, so you can see what each section means in detail:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/3DSMa...

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Description: In this video, we take a tour of the Bifrost fluid solver in 3ds Max 2018 Update 3. You will learn how to create a simple fluid simulation and how to render it with Arnold. Level: Intermediate Recorded in: 3ds Max 2018.3 - Update 3 This tutorial is intended for use with 3ds Max ...
Message 3 of 3
koetsierrobert
in reply to: darawork

Thank you for the quick reply.
I did watch the mentioned video before, but I'll watch it again to see if I missed anything.
And I'll definitely check the parameters in the mentioned KnowledgeBase article. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report