Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo command is BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN

94 REPLIES 94
Message 1 of 95
Anonymous
2473 Views, 94 Replies

Undo command is BROKEN BROKEN BROKEN

Approximately 25% of the time, the Undo command is simply not available, or only the last 2 or 3 commands are undoable. Also, certain commands are often missing from the Undo list (ie the commands I performed just before and after a certain action are listed, but one is missing) Is it just me?

(PS I haven't installed 2009 Service Pack 1, but I don't see this topic listed among the fixes)
3ds Max Design 2009 32 bit, Direct3d 9; Win XP SP2 32 bit with 3GB switch
(and no intellimouse)
94 REPLIES 94
Message 81 of 95
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Please let us know if this hotfix does indeed fix the problem, it is a very hard problem to pin down so we are not 100% certain we addressed it.

Hi

This patch didnt resolved my undo problem. I use vista x64. both 3ds 32bit and 64bit do not undo while I am using animation. I cannot undo auto keys and set keys. The patch does NOT work.

Please provide an urgent solution!
Message 82 of 95
Anonymous

didnt test the hotfix much yet, but seems to be a small problem when you clear a map on a material, it clears full undo history?

Here are the bad news (or the expected): No, the patch don´t work. With the clearing of a map while dragging an empty "NONE"-Slot over it in MaterialEditor, you clear the undo stack.

But you are right, the test don´t need much time. After 10 seconds it was clear that it´s not working. It´s really frustrating...
Message 83 of 95
Anonymous

I'm not sure that this is the specific problem our "undo fix" was addressing. This is a reproducible problem that is fixed in 3ds Max 2010 - we just have to figure out how to get that fix rolled out for 2009. Our apologies.
Message 84 of 95
Anonymous

From our QE:

Let me try clarifying things a bit more:
The Undo Stack fix that's in HotFix6 is really about minimizing Undo Stack flushes that get triggered by the garbage collector. This was because the data we got from the users who used our special build with the intstrumentation tool, pointed us in that direction, meaning a vast majority of the flushes they were reporting seemed to be related to that.

Time-wise or operation-wise, these flushes happen in a non-deterministic way, thus the random aspect of stack flushing in these cases. This HotFix was really aiming at fixing this sort of issue, but was not claiming we would resolve all Undo Stack flushing issues. Some - like the Material Editor one - got fixed in 3ds Max 2010 through other code changes, like what was done for improving the Reference system. Others are still present, like the case of the object deletion while in object creation mode.

It's also for being able to get more data on other problematic situations that we decided we would also include the diagnosis tool in the HotFix (i.e. the instrumentation system), so that users would have a way to send data about specific Undo stack flushing issues they might encounter. This diagnosis tool can be enabled by setting an environment variable, and we might want to ask users, who would still report Undo stack flushing problems, to turn it on and send us CER reports, for helping us figuring out what would still trigger unwanted flushes.

----------------
So, if you're having undo problems after installing the hotfix, we probably need to turn on the special "instrumentation system" to get more data on your problem.
Message 85 of 95
Anonymous

I just rolled out the hotfix for our animators last night. As of this morning, they are still getting the undo bug. Is there any "next step" I can take? Our animators are becoming extremely frustrated with 2009...
Message 86 of 95
Anonymous

I just rolled out the hotfix for our animators last night. As of this morning, they are still getting the undo bug. Is there any "next step" I can take? Our animators are becoming extremely frustrated with 2009...

We're looking into turning on your instrumentation. We'll be in contact.
Message 87 of 95
Anonymous

Hotfix didn't work. Today undo bug happened when I was modeling, which has happened only in animation for me.
Message 88 of 95
Anonymous

now our animators are starting to actually get crashes when performing multiple undos (between 4 and ~20ish undos in succession)... any new info?
Message 89 of 95
Anonymous

I've just been informed that our hotfix for the undo has a potential issue with it. This might cause additional problems in some cases leading to unexplained crashes. We're working on issuing another hotfix. Sorry.
Message 90 of 95
DavidDustin4627

Ken,
Were you thinking of posting that same information on CGtalk?

Thanks,
David
Message 91 of 95
Anonymous

This is a serious problem for our animators too. How do we turn on this reporting? We'd be happy to help track down the issues.
Is there an eta on the updated hotfix?
Message 92 of 95
Anonymous

I've just been informed that our hotfix for the undo has a potential issue with it. This might cause additional problems in some cases leading to unexplained crashes. We're working on issuing another hotfix. Sorry.

Any word on when the new hotfix may be coming? Or if the remaining undo issues have been addressed? This is a serious issue for us.
Message 93 of 95
Anonymous

Did you get the hotfix? Also, we're tracking any further undo issues over here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5808581#post5808581
Message 94 of 95
Anonymous

Anyone having problems with undo after installing the hotfix? It seems this has fixed the problem, let us know otherwise.
Message 95 of 95
Anonymous

searching around for what is going on with undo suddenly not working and requiring a restart of max I stumbled upon this thread ... is this seriously something that has been happening since 2009? Im currently using 2013. I know it's been happening for a while, but i'm fairly shocked to see that this has been happening for 5 years now? Is nothing being done to fix this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report