Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two hard discs

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
174 Views, 6 Replies

Two hard discs

Hello,

I work with twin screens with 3ds max Design 2009 and Corel Draw X4.

My problem is , when I am doing some rendering in 3ds max I can not work with Corel Draw in the other screen because the PC is so slow.

Is there any way that I can work with two hard discs?

I want to work normally while I am doing some rendering in the other screen.

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Is there any way that I can work with two hard discs?

No, ideally what you want is two (or more) whole computers.
It's not the HDD usage making it slow, it's the CPU usage.
3D rendering is one of the most demanding things you can ask a computer to do, it will take up all your CPU power and a lot of your memory. At best you can expect to continue with simple low level undemanding tasks while rendering, but IMO running another graphics app is out of the question.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

If your computer processor has multiple cores, you can set Max to only use some of them. Open Task Manager, go to Processes, right-click 3dsmax.exe and Set Affinity. But this will of course slow Max's rendering by the expected amount.

But having said all that, it is pretty tough to try to work in Coreldraw while Max is rendering. You can use certain programs like text editors without noticing too much slowdown.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

to use both programs buy another monitor and graphics cards with 2 VGA ports so you can render max on one and use paint on another but to do this i found it complicated b/c it was annoying switch from one to another. yes you can move the mouse to the other screen then it's hard to get back to the other screen that you use.

If max is slowing down then you mite need some new hardware from more memory and a CPU. Try going to start run type msconfig and click on max will bring up the system config box go to the start up tab only uncheck all programs apart from your internet box, your virus checker and the spyware checker don't touch any other boxes because you could sc** up your computer once you uncheck all the boxes in the startup only click on apply and ok your computer will need to restart so follow the restart instrutions once reset your computer will boot up again. and that box will open up again click on ok to close it down, you will get a bit more memory but not much more.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I work with twin screens with 3ds max Design 2009 and Corel Draw X4.

to use both programs buy another monitor and graphics cards with 2 VGA ports so you can render max on one and use paint on another

It looks like he's already doing that, but monitors and VGA ports don't do the rendering, it all happens in the CPU and memory, and these resorces are usually completely exhausted by the rendering process.
You can try the set affinity trick, but using half the processing cores will make the render take twice as long, and only leave half for CD4 to use. So it may just prolong your agony trying to use it while rendering.
I want to work normally while I am doing some rendering in the other screen.

The only way to really work normally is to net-render. OK, maybe you can't afford to fill a rack with the latest super-fast render nodes, but just adding your old PC that gathering dust in the corner can help. Or build your own render node(s), buying just the component parts it needs. As mentioned, CPU and memory are the important bits, you can skimp on everything else.
Other than that, just do what me and every other 3D arist did in the dark ages before discovering net-rendering, do it when you sleep.
Message 6 of 7
Tim_Wilbers

Other than that, just do what me and every other 3D arist did in the dark ages before discovering net-rendering, do it when you sleep.

Exactly.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

My bad sam i did not see he/she said "he had a twin monitor"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report