Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrain Mapping - Please help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
237 Views, 4 Replies

Terrain Mapping - Please help

Hi all,

I have recently modeled the terrain that I need for a project, it includes a valley with a slight cliff and a dirt road. Mostly grass, but dirt in several places, including the road. The trouble I'm having is being able to put on and blend multiple textures together. The grass and cliff need to meet each other without overlapping. I don't know how to put something like this together. Currently, I drop a material on it and it covers the whole thing. However, dirt patches, as well as mapping the road would really do wonders for the realism. Do I need to make multiple meshes or find a way to subdivide the current one? I have it as an editable poly right now, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin M
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What I would do is make the entire map (grass, road, dirt patches) in Photoshop as one image, and apply it to your mesh using Unwrap UVW.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

This would be an excellent idea, however, I need the dirt/grass to look decently realistic and I'm not sure how I would do that in photoshop -- clone stamp real pics? also, if the image wraps to the mesh, will the dimensions of the image have to be exactly the dimensions of the mesh, or should they be larger/smaller? I just thought I would have to use tiled textures because the mesh is hundreds of feet =/ (is that already larger than recommended? Though I use max, I've never really modeled an entire site with components, usually use it for modeling small, more specific things :)
Message 4 of 5
CAMedeck

Use a Blend material with your grass and dirt materials in the two material slots. Then use a black and white bitmap to "blend" between the two. If you render out your terrain from the Top view at a high resolution, then open that image in Photoshop, you can paint the areas you want as dirt as black and make the rest white (or vice-versa). You can also use greys to blend softly at the edges, or even add small patches of dirt to areas of grass.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

What I do, is instead of using a multi-sub-object material, I use a Mix material. To create the Mix map, I take a screenshot of the terrain from the Top view, paste it in Photoshop, and color in the area of material B with white. The fewer pixels your Mix map has, the more blurry the boundary will be, no matter how sharp you paint the areas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report