Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry Mirror Position

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
300 Views, 7 Replies

Symmetry Mirror Position

I just experienced a bug that needs to be fixed in order for me to accurately position a group of objects. I selected 48 different objects, grouped them. Then used the Symmetry modifier on the group, but when I go to set the mirror's position, I am not allowed to enter a X, Y or Z value for the mirror so I cannot position it accurately on X=0.0 to mirror it to the other side. I have to do it by eye with the Offset Mode Transform Type-In feature. I think this happened in other versions as well.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you find a genuine reproducible bug, you need to log it, or it will never get fixed. This is a peer-to-peer forum, Autodesk doesn't read every post here. Search for "defect reporting" and you should get right to the form to do this.
Message 3 of 8
Steve_Curley

Here's the link :- Defect Report Submission Form

However - I wouldn't be too hasty in calling that a bug as it appears to work correctly here.
I just grouped 3 objects, Added the Symmetry Modifier to the group, expanded the Symmetry Modifier in the stack to get at the Mirror, and the 3 entry fields at the bottom of the screen were available and worked as expected. Unless it's related to the number of objects in the group I would say you have some odd setting which is preventing you entering values in those fields.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

That is weird. I thought I had to make a thread as stated in the "Suspected Bugs Master Thread" for replies of other people trying out to see if they experience the bug too. I think the bug occurs even without grouping objects. I will keep experimenting to see if this bug occurs depending on how many objects I have selected later.

Thanks for the link Defect Report Submission Form link. I might have to submit all of the bugs I found during this YouTube video I made. 🙂
Message 5 of 8
Tim_Wilbers

Looking at the video link:
The example of the two cylinder-shape mesh where you want to reset the bounding box, is definitely not a "bug". If you look closely you will see the Reference Coordinate System is set to View. That is why the Transfror Gizmo does not align with the bounding box. If it was on Local, the Transfrom Gizmo would be aligned with the bounding box and the Mirror command would work as expected.

Not a bug at all. It is working as designed. The problem is due to the way the original mesh object was created. However the solution used to re-aliging the Pivot Point is well known. Works on other things such as trying to Extrude an imported Spline only to have the extrusion go sideways (Local Z-axis not aligned in the desired direction).

He does have some modeling tips that are worth looking at.

A true "bug" is when a command or feature does not perform as expected, not necessarily as a user expects, but not expected as designed. Symptoms of a bug might be a quick exit to the desktop, or trying to refine a spline and the vertex jumps to the end of the segment.

Message 6 of 8
Steve_Curley

GargantulaKon - I believe the intent of that Master thread was to post in there after discussions had taken place in other threads (like this one) and the bug confirmed. Do remember that the only official way to report bugs is through the link above - AME don't monitor every single thread/post on this forum.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 8
Tim_Wilbers

To the original issue of Mirror on a Group, in order for others to confirm the occurrence, or to report a bug, exact steps are needed. Such as:

1. Reset Max
2. Create 20 Box objects of any size in the Top Viewport.
3. Select all 20 and Group > Group.
4. In the Front viewport....

And so on.

Bug hunting takes some time. You need exact reproducible steps, and the slightest variation in the procedure may trigger the bug or not.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Tim Wilbers! I am a bit late to reply, but I did post a message on the video info stating, "If there are better ways around these bugs or to prevent them (still using 3ds Max), please tell me so, I would love to know!".

That is great to hear that there is a way around that "issue" I thought I was having.

I have organized the steps to reproduce the issue I experienced.

1. I selected 48 different objects.
2. Grouped them with the "Group" command.
3. Select the Symmetry modifier on the group.
4. Try to set the mirror’s position. Here I am not allowed to enter a X, Y or Z value for the mirror so I cannot position it accurately on X=0.0 to mirror it to the other side. I have to do it "by eye" with the Offset Mode Transform Type-In feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report