Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching to arnold from fstorm. tips and tricks appriciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mda2249
321 Views, 3 Replies

switching to arnold from fstorm. tips and tricks appriciated.

I prefer to stick with software long term, and learn the intricacies, so switching from fstorm to Arnold is a big move for me, (though it opens more nuanced renders). What can I expect, or better yet. where is there more info on Arnold, and it's capabilities.

all the best, and Merry Christmas,

-mda

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mda2249
in reply to: mda2249

also. ad an addendum. with the 3090's and 4090's, what is the news on arnold gpu compatibilities?

Message 3 of 4
darawork

Hi,

My tip would be; 'Best just switch to Corona 8, after all it's run by Chaos now (vRay People, and Mental Ray, iRay...)'.
Save yourself a few steps, installing and then un-installing fStorm.

But that's just what I'd do.*

*Suggestions mentioned above may not be accurate, nor representative of companies mentioned, or not mentioned.

Best Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 4
CiroCardoso3v

Is Corona 8 GPU?

Fstorm is just GPU, so keep that in mind. The trick with GPU is to try to be as efficient as possible. Do you need that 4K texture? You need to remove and purge anything that isn't necessary so that it fits into GPU memory. Even a 4090 with 24GB will very quickly be full. One thing I like about Arnold GPU is that even if you have 4K or 8K, you can force the GPU to only work with 1K or 2K textures, thanks to the TX files. Overall, even though GPU is faster than CPU, it tends to be more prone to crashes.

In terms of Arnold GPU-supported graphics card, you have this webpage

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_user_guide_ac_arnold_gpu_ac_supported_gpu_html

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report