Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.stp/STEP files, Can't import anymore

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Louise.Prescott
1608 Views, 12 Replies

.stp/STEP files, Can't import anymore

Recently started a new job, and I am currently learning to use 3ds max to render model from creo.

I was able to to import .stp files just fine last week, last file I imported was on the 26th, but now, starting yesterday, any time I try to import any .stp files (including the ones that I imported last week) 3ds max gives me an error message, saying "improper file type".

Again, nothing was wrong with these files when I was importing them last week, so I really don't know what has gone wrong. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2021-06-02 141611.png

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Bit strange, what version of 3ds Max are you using?

For now I might try a reset of 3ds Max just to see what happens.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 13
pokoy
in reply to: BenBisares

I have the same problem - Max 2020 (2020.3.4) will not import any of the STP files I tried, same prompt comes up, the log file just cuts off without any further information.

@BenBisares Rather than replying with 'It's a bit strange' and suggesting to reset the ENU folder, could you please check for yourself and see if you can reproduce the problem or forward this to the developers so they can have a look? Autodesk should make sure that proper CAD file interop is possible - this is what 3ds max is advertised for - and not make it look like the ENU folder is the magic trick to solve all problems. Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
Libei.Wang
in reply to: pokoy

Hello @Louise.Prescott and @pokoy ,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble importing STP file to 3ds Max 2020.3.4.

I have tried a few STP imports using 3ds Max 2020.3.4 with mesh set to on or off.  They have all passed.  Can you share the STP file?  Have you tried a newer version of 3ds Max, and does it help?

Thank you,

Libei

Libei Wang
Sr QA Analyst for 3ds Max
Message 5 of 13
BenBisares

@pokoy the reason I mention it's strange is that he OP mentioned that it was working a week before. Since I assume nothing has changed in Max since then and I also use STEP files in 3ds Max on a frequent basis and I haven't encountered any problems but before I answered I did recheck STEP import in 2020, 2021, 2022 (latest updates) and my files imported just fine.

I know it may sound dismissive when I say "reset 3ds Max" but for issues where it was working one day and then not working the next, it's a good  idea to do this to ensure that we are working from the same starting point. If the reset made no difference we continue on to the next step.

Potentially the CAD software used to make the STEP files may be the cause. My files are generated from Inventor and Fusion. Could be even something like the ALC/CRP script as it affects Max in unexpected ways. More than happy to test out any STEP files you can share with us as @Libei.Wang mentioned.

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 13
pokoy
in reply to: BenBisares

I realize the OP didn't give you enough information and now that you've explained it, I understand. Accept my apologies for not giving this any credit. Still, more often than not, I see this being suggested as the first thing to try, while the root of the problem still might exist and never get fixed that way.

In my case, it's actually only one file that doesn't import and I was able to verify that Max 2016 and 2018 will open a STEP file that Max 2020 - 2022 won't. I remember I wasn't able to import any of the STEP files I tried in 2020, and why it's only one now... no idea. Unfortunately, I can't share any of the files, maybe OP can help you out.

Again, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions too quickly, not understanding that you actually did all the checks.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 13
BenBisares

In your defense I can see how my first post could've been interpreted in that way and I do agree that "resetting 3ds Max" does seem to get thrown around too often.

Seriously though, no need to apologise. I've been on the internet long enough that I don't take things too personally. I  sometimes even comment in Youtube videos! 😂 In my mind I help as best I can and that's enough for me. I don't need to go for the nuclear option when someone disagrees with what I say 😉

In any case let's see if we can get more data from the OP.

Ben Bisares
Message 8 of 13

I am also having this problem in the 2020 version.........the step files import ok into 2016.  They were working a week ago in 2020 now they are not.  Have we a solution to this?

Message 9 of 13

Correction, I am running 3DS Max 2021..........I renamed the ENU folder to ENU_old and restarted 3ds.  I then deleted the new ENU folder and renamed the ENU_old folder to ENU as suggested.  Still, the problem persists and it will not import the step file I am happy to send you a step file to test

Message 10 of 13

Hello @conor.mcnameeNQ533 ,

It'll be wonderful to have your STEP model to debug.  You can PM me to share the model if you prefer.

Thank you,

Libei

Libei Wang
Sr QA Analyst for 3ds Max
Message 11 of 13

Not sure how to private message you

Message 12 of 13

Hover over Libei's user name and in the pop-up you'll see the "Send Private Message" link.

LW-PM.png

Ben Bisares
Message 13 of 13

Yes thank you I have been in contact with Libei.Wang and we are trying to work through the issue, I have sent her a test file that she has opened successfully on her system 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report