Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stupidity?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
281 Views, 8 Replies

Simple stupidity?

Hello,

I'm pretty new to 3ds max 9 and i have what is probably a dumb question. I am trying to make the background of a render im doing white instead of black, but when i go to render/envriorment, the window never appears. It shows a check mark next to the menu but the window never shows up. just wondering if anyone could help.

thanks

garret
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like your Environment diaglogue window is off-screen.

- Press the 8 key (opens the Environment & Effects Dialog)
- Press & release Alt, then the down arrow key once.
- Press M
- Hold down the left mouse button and drag. You should be able to get it back on screen.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Wade,

Thanks for the tip. Im positive you are right about the screen being off the monitor somewhere so thanks for your help. I did try to do this and the window pops up all the way to the right of my screen (the one that allows me to select move) and when i click and drag to move the window into visibility, It deselects that window. Mabee there is a way to reset 3d max to its defaults so all the windows open in their normal locations?
Thanks

Garret
Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

There is - find and rename your 3sdmax.ini - but you'll lose any customisations you have made in the process.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 9
dongray

This video will guide you through the steps of editing the max.ini file so you don't have to lose any customizations, but just noticed you didn't mention what operating system you are on. I thought you had mentioned you were on Vista, but now I see no mention.
Hopefully, it will still be helpful.

http://www.hometime.net/max_ini.html

Let me know how it goes,
Don
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Don,

Woah, that was genius. That fixed it perfectly. I realized that When i first used 3ds on my system, that i had dual monitors running. I wonder if that is the reason that it was being placed off screen, it must have been confused and used coordinates from the "expanded desktop." Thanks again that was driving me crazy.

All the best
Garret
Message 7 of 9
dongray

Hey Garret,
Glad you got it corrected.

Don
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Don,

By the way I am running on xp, and even though that was vista I was still able to use that to find the same dialog within my 3dsmax file (although it called it a configuration file, when i searched for .ini in the search window it brought it up,) then just did the same changes. Thanks again

Garret
Message 9 of 9
dongray

Good enough.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report