Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scene crashing on 2020 but not on previous version

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
b_aubry
603 Views, 4 Replies

Scene crashing on 2020 but not on previous version

Hi,

We're trying to finally move to 2020.

Scenes were not giving any issue on 2014 nor 2017, and now some scenes are crashing when opening in 2020.

Please find attached the scene, if it can help identify what's wrong...

took me a while to isolate that specific object (as you can tell by the name of the file XD).

Now if i remove it, or collapse the modifiers, i can open the scene. But the point is understanding... i have 2 other scenes giving me issues, in which i need to find the object giving the issue, which me luck.

On another machine, in max 2020, we have an exception on the opening, but doesn't crash. Mine crash every time 🙂

i run a ryzen processor, 2080ti, drivers up to date. I ran Prune on the scene and cleaned all..
oh and yes i tried service pack 2020.2

Voila all the informations!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: b_aubry

Hi,

the attached file doesn`t crash 2020.2.

However i don`t use VRay and i removed it`s content using Scene Converter. Perhaps a VRay issue?

Do you have the latest version of 2020 installed?

Is this what i supposed to see when opening the file?

2020_Crash.PNG

Message 3 of 5
b_aubry
in reply to: Anonymous

thank you for trying.

it is not helpful aha, without sounding rude 😛

why my 3ds is broken is beyond me

i reinstalled the whole 3dsmax, removed the key on the registry i could find, tried as much as i could a clean install

might reinstall the whole windows but that's time consuming!

anyways, thanks for your time, i'll get back here once i find other objects giving weird issues

Message 4 of 5

Hi! I tried to import the scene and no crash on my side. I had some warnings about VRay 2017, but the file loaded correctly. I do have VRay, version 2.1.

Did you submit the crash report? If so, do you have the number or the email attached? That would help us to understand what caused the crash.

Thanks for reporting the issue!

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 5 of 5
b_aubry
in reply to: b_aubry

hi!

there's more 🙂

and this time, it's a scene i've been working on with 2020 for a while, all was well, till this morning.

It gives me an exception notice on the main scene  (see attached).

(sometimes it does crash, and i did send a report with my email)

i also attached the max file, with isolated objects, one of them is making my scene crash.

Same behavior. I can merge objects fine. But if i save and open the scene, it will crash.

If i merge, convert all to mesh and save, i can open the scene fine.

In other news we had to revert back to 2020 without service pack, as the 2020.2 has issues working with xRef files !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report