Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip up existing clothing?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
594 Views, 2 Replies

Rip up existing clothing?

I'm trying to use mixamo fuse with 3ds max. I have clothing from their collection that I'd like to rip up and reimport into fuse as a new piece of clothing.

For example: There is a shirt in mixamo fuse called standard shirt. What im trying to do is take that shirt by building a charcter with the shirt, exporting the entire model as an obj, then import to 3ds max. From there I delete everything but the shirt.

Now I want to rip up that shirt so that I can re import it into mixamo fuse as "ripped up standard shirt"

How do i rip up this piece of clothing though?

I have attached the shirt model in a link. It's called StdZombieShirt.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2x7Esb6HhfoZ0lDRDBWenR0ZzA

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

I've taken a look at your model and I'd like to try to help with this problem.  I don't have any experience with Mixamo (Adobe product) but we can make a few educated guesses about limitations and how to work with them in 3ds Max.

First, It prefers quads if your model is any indicator.  That's important here because one option might be to make a cloth or garment in max and rip it that way, but since that uses triangles I have a feeling it'll just cause you more issues once you get it into Mixamo.  You can do a search on Youtube for 'ripped cloth' and get a bunch of user made tutorials that utilize the Cloth modifier or garment maker for this purpose.  I'm not sure how much control you get over the skinning of Mixamo objects, so it's tough to gauge here and I can't really do any support for Adobe products.

Another option would be to carefully cut out areas with the cut tool, and combine that with alpha maps to make the edges a bit less regular without going crazy on the poly count and then you could keep the model in mostly quads.  This is probably where I'd start.  You might make use of the viewport canvas for the alpha/mask painting.  (Or use any other 3d painting software you like.)

Let me know if this works out for you, and if not we'll diagnose whatever problems you're having.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Just following up, any progress?  

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report